Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: chunk bitten off - help

Default chunk bitten off - help

DS has been keeping his teeth closed when he unlatches, which has been resulting in scrapes on my nipples. Sometimes I think it is on purpose and sometimes just habit. I think it is on purpose because sometimes if he doesn't scrape me, he goes in for what I think is to eat again (because sometimes he delatches and relatches several times) but he is only going in to bite. I have found that he smiles sometimes when he does this, so I definitely know if he is doing it, but I have lately been putting my hand over my nipple and if he goes back to nurse and is frantic that it is covered then I let him nurse, if he just tries to bite my fingers, than I cover up completely, he is done. He has been frantic about biting me everywhere lately - and no, he isn't teething. I don't know how to stop the scraping thing. It is quite painful, and sometimes draws blood. I tried yesterday to put my finger near his mouth so that when he seemed to be stopping the nursing, I could put my finger in his mouth to pop it open and he became upset and started batting my finger away and in the process became unlatched, but took a sizeable chunk out of my nipple. It is excruciating to nurse now.
    Please help me. I don't know how to stop the scratching, it makes me not want to nurse, but I don't want to wean yet. First, because DS seems so involved in it and even asks to "ursss" when I get home from work. Second, because he isn't drinking cows milk, or any other source of calcium (almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk) no matter how hard we try to get him to like it.
    Thanks in advance for any advice you have for me.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: chunk bitten off - help

Oh gosh, mama, that sounds rotten! Have you tried ending the feeding when he bites? Just putting him down and walking away?

Tips on healing broken skin in the nipple area:
    - moist healing- keep humidity in the house high, use lanolin or gel pads (like Soothies)
    - hydrate skin before nursing by immersing any scabbed areas in a shot glass of warm water (moist scabs tear open less painfully than dry ones)
    - use a combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin ointment on wound to combat inflammation and infection (use pea-sized amount, mixed and applied using clean finger)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: chunk bitten off - help

Thank you for the information. I haven't been consistent in putting him down, I guess because I think sometimes he doesn't do it on purpose, but I guess that needs to be done because I can't keep having sores all the time. And I don't want to/can't quit breastfeeding right now.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11