Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OALD

Default Re: OALD

If your LO is getting frustrated with the slower letdown from pumping I would pump the side he is not nursing on while he is nursing. It takes a little practice and some pillows to help bolt things but works great once you get the hang of it.

If you are EBF all day you should only expect to get an ounce or two all day of pumping. When you go back to work you will be using the pump to replace feedings, at that point you can expect to get more but right now you are just going to get small amounts from pumping and that is normal and ok.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

I guess I would say I have a fast letdown and if I pump in between feedings my letdown the next time is not as fast so he doenst want to nurse. ALso, it seems like he quits after my letdown stops...if it's been 2 hours since his last feedings or his long stretch after 4 hours during the night he doens't want to nurse anymore. The doctor seems happy with his weight gain at 2 months but I just feel like its going to catch up with us evenutally. He seems hungry becuase he sucks on his hands/gets fussy but then doesn't want to nurse because the letdown is not quick.

If I pump in between feedings I only get about an ounce on each side. I am getting to the point where I want to supplement because he still seems hungry.

I am confused. You doctor is happy with babies weight gain, but you are getting frustrated enough to want to supplement. You think your have forceful letdown, but also think your pump output is too little.

Your doctor is happy with baby's weight gain, but you are not, I take it? So, IF a breastfed baby is not gaining appropriately and there is no underlying medical issue, it means baby is not getting enough breastmilk. This can be caused by baby not nursing frequently enough, baby not nursing effectively at the breast (poor milk transfer) or low milk supply. There are many remedies for any of these issues that do not include supplementing. Supplemeting may be medically warranted if baby stops gaining, loses weight, or becomes dehydrated, but it sounds like you are a long way from those kinds of concerns.

IF your baby is coming off the breast before being "done," or "full," (and I am not sure this is the case but if it is) this could be due to many issues, not just forceful letdown. This could be due to a slow letdown, or low milk supply, or baby does not like the nursing position, or your baby is a snacker and prefers to eat in short bursts. I am sure there are other possibilities. Since pumping between nursing is appariently causing more issues, you could stop pumping or pump less frequently until you feel like you have a better handle on what is happening.

One ounce per pumping session is a reasonable amount to be pumping for a mom who is exclusively nursing. In the normal course of breastfeeding, a mom's body makes enough milk for her baby, but not lots extra. So anything you pump when with baby and nursing regularly is kind of like icing on the cake. When you actually go back to work and are separated from baby, you may well find that your pump output per session increases.

Also pump performance can affect pump output, as well as many other factors. In general a nursing baby is much more effective at milk extraction than a pump. This is why pump output is a very poor indicator of milk supply.

Your baby being fussy and 'cuing' post feeding may indicate baby is still hungry, or it may not. But in either case this does not necessarily mean you do not make enough milk. What happens if you offer to nurse again? have you tried breast compressions to give baby a "shot" of milk that may keep baby interested in nursing longer? http://nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_...tion&Itemid=17

Or what about these ideas for gently encouraging baby to nurse more frequently? http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Or, if the issue is low milk supply, what have you tried to increase your milk supply?