Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OALD

Default OALD

After going to the lactation consultant and reading info on this sight I have figured
    out I have an OALD. My LO will sometimes latch for about 7 minutes on one side and not want to nurse anymore..i feel like that is about the time the flow stops other times he will latch on and off. Or try and control the letdown with his tongue which makes those funny noises.

He will only nurse for about 7 minutes on one side and afterwards doesn't seem like he can possibly eat anymore. He had the right amount of wet diapers and BM but he didnt have great weight gain when I took him in from the week before. The consultant said to not worry about it because he was using all him energy for his growth spurt at 6 weeks.

Any tips on how to get my LO to nurse on the second side? I make sure he has a great big burp when he is done one the one side but he still doesnt seem interested nursing on the second side.

Default Re: OALD

Hmm, usually when a mom has OALD it's caused by oversupply, and the baby usually gains weight quite rapidly. Can you post your baby's full weight history for us?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He was born 6 14. At one month I believe he was around 8 2. Then week six 9 2. Then week 7... 9 5. But I can verify Friday because I go to the consultant again. Friday. I guess I only nurse one side so. I start with the next side the next time and by then its so full it comes spraying out.

You may want to have him re-weighed. It's amazing how much a bit of movement, a different scale, or even just different nurses can come up with slightly different weights. We were concerned when bringing my little one in and she had no weight gain after having had a really good checkups with solid gain at two weeks. Nurse said don't fret that a variance of even several ounces is possible, and sure enough, next check up she had a solid gain.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mnkyarms View Post
    Nurse said don't fret that a variance of even several ounces is possible, and sure enough, next check up she had a solid gain.
    BM's can affect weight too - if baby had one right after a weight check, and right before the next one, you may not see as much of a gain as you were expecting.

Also, back to your original question, if baby seems satisfied after just one side, I wouldn't worry too much about getting him to take the other one. Lots of babies eat from just one side per feeding. As long as wets/poos are good & he's gaining weight he's probably just filling up after the one side. Esp if you are really full. It's uncomfortable at the beginning but your supply will adjust to what he needs pretty soon

ETA: If you're concerned about weight gain, maybe just try offering to nurse more often?
    Last edited by @llli*juliasmomma; March 29th, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

thank you! he is gaining three ounces a week and the lactation consultant says that is really good. My issue now is if I pump in between feedings he is really fussy at the next feeding because he is used to a quick letdown. I end up just giving him a bottle because he really starts to cry. Any recommendations? I would just pump the other breast that her doesnt nurse from but I never really am able to fully letdown because I just nursed. Its weird. Thanks!

Have you ever tried pumping the other side while you are nursing? Are you pumping every day for some reason?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I would not give a bottle. That is contributing to baby preferring a fast letdown. Keep switching, try compressions or stop pumping. You don't have to pump unless you will be going back to work, and even then, you dont need a lot stored.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I am pumping because I am going back to work in a couple of weeks. I will stop giving a bottle for now and pump on the other side if he doesn't nurse. I just want some stocked up...I don't produce a lot so I want to make sure I have back up

I don't understand what you mean about not producing a lot? You said you have oversupply? How much are you getting when you pump?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months