Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stop trying to feed my 3 1/2 months old

Default stop trying to feed my 3 1/2 months old

I went to a meeting before having my son and got some good support and information, thinking I wouldn't need the extra support because I have such a supportive wonderful family. But now I do need support. I'm frustrated that my family keeps trying to feed my baby and wants to overfeed him with bottles. What to do? I've voiced my concerns and got mad a few times and we work it out, then I turn around and they are trying to give him tastes of food instead of full blown feeding and I am still annoyed.

Default Re: stop trying to feed my 3 1/2 months old

Wear your baby and then they can't get to him!! For real, it helps!

You need to assert your own wishes and rights. Tell them you do not want them to give him food, if you see them do it, they lost their privilege of holding him because they broke your trust. You want to feed him because you're his mommy (and I stuck with that even bottle feeding my daughter my pumped milk, that I wanted her to know that milk comes from mommy and I was concerned about proper bottle feeding technique so yes I did turn down offers of people wanting to feed her).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thanks you. My plan is to nurse hhim until around 2 yrs too. My husband says he is supportive then turns around and gives him tastes of pb, pickles, veggie bacon, etc. Wtf? I am trying to keep my son interested in nursing, busting m ass to eat healthy, not sleeping so I can feed him! I swear my husband is subconsciously jealous. I just needed to vent a bit, probably not fully making sense but whatever.

Well, I think your husband needs to educated on the infant's gut and inability to digest certain foods and also the dangers of food allergies. No infant should be fed peanut butter or highly processed foods like pickles or veggie bacon!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

MIL tried to feed DD1 mashed potatoes and gravy to her when she was only 2.5 months. I was LIVID. I just avoided them after that. If we had to see them, I didn't leave her unattended. That simple. They've proven that you can't trust them - so don't.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

This article may help you educate your family: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../delay-solids/

Don't be subtle. When it comes to parenting, sometimes you just have to draw a firm line in the sand and say "No, you cannot give him that/do that". If you let people think that you aren't really serious, if you allow them to push you, they will never ever stop. Today it's solids, tomorrow it will be weaning, the next day it will be something else. You'll say "no" but they won't believe you're serious, and will do whatever it is anyway.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*piratedancelife View Post
    Thanks you. My plan is to nurse hhim until around 2 yrs too. My husband says he is supportive then turns around and gives him tastes of pb, pickles, veggie bacon, etc. Wtf? I am trying to keep my son interested in nursing, busting m ass to eat healthy, not sleeping so I can feed him! I swear my husband is subconsciously jealous. I just needed to vent a bit, probably not fully making sense but whatever.
    I think you might be onto something with regard to your husband being jealous of you exclusively feeding him. I think my DH felt that way sometimes. It makes sense. My DH wants to be a very involved Daddy, and breastfeeding is one very special thing that only I can do with DS. Of course, he's going to be a little bit jealous. But he has come to realize as DS has gotten a bit older (now 5 months) that there are other special ways they can connect, and that it really is best for DS to be breastfed directly most of the time. He enjoys giving DS breastmilk bottles when we go out (I'm not a fan of NIP). I would talk to your husband about how he may be feeling. Let him give some EBM bottles, judiciously, if you are willing. That may satisfy the need to 'feed' baby so he's not tempted to give him peanut butter or pickles! As far as everybody other than DH, I would be less understanding. Just put your foot down and say no! If they ignore you, then they don't get to spend time alone with the baby.

what is with peoples obsession with giving babies food? My little one cried the other day and my sister was like - "oh she wants food, I was feeding mine proper food at that age. See she is staring at your food so she wants some. You should really be feeding her by now" She was only 4 months old! yes she is starting to get interested in watching people eat, and this is normal so let me do it my way!

When I told her that we weren't starting solids until at least 6 months and things had changed since she had her babies, she got all defensive like I was insulting her parenting skills.

Lucky for me I have a super supportive husband, and suprising the MIL is also supportive - despite the fact she gave her boys cereal at 3 months. She made a point to tell me when my bubs was born that she would respect my decisions and choices on everything and if I tell her that I'm not giving bubs X then she won't do it.

Stick to your guns. This is YOUR baby. Speak to your husband. Tell him that you need to be working as a team and he needs to respect your wishes to not give the baby solids just yet. Let him in on your game plan - eg, I want to wait until 6 months to ensure bubs has a mature digestive system. Then I want to start with this food. Then that food. etc etc. I guess I am saying - make him feel included in coming up with a plan. Or tell him he can get up and do the middle of the night feeds or early morning feeds if he wants to be involved lol

This was really helpful, thank you.