Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BLS and table food?

Default Re: BLS and table food?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joshuas.mommy View Post
    ?? I pump milk for baby while I'm at work. Luckily, I have an abundant supply, so pumping enough is never an issue. My mom watches him for me during the day and gives him bottles on demand whenever he seems hungry, and she is pretty good at reading his cues. So he still has unrestricted access to my milk, just not straight from the tap. I suppose once he starts solids she will probably give him solids during the day, also. What does that have to do with giving purees, anyway? Didn't understand the point you're trying to make.
    Until a year breast milk is babies' primary source of nutrition, so I wouldn't worry too much about leaving solids unless both you and your mom want him to have some food to play with while you're gone. Even then you can just have a pear or avocado or tomato on hand for your mom to slice up. No need for purees.

Honestly I think it is much quicker (and every bit as nutritious) to slice up a piece of fruit or vegetable than it is to purée one. I think BLS is great for working families (aside from the many other benefits) because you minimize time spent in the kitchen and time spent feeding your baby eating so that you can maximize time for other activities with your baby. That is really important to me when I'm working.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I think most of us pulled solids out of what we were making and kept healthy staples around specfically for them so that they could participate in the ritual and still eat whole healthy foods.
    This is what we did for several months. I've always tried to cook healthy meals, but I really wanted to stick with whole foods rather than prepared foods early on.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joshuas.mommy View Post
    ?? I pump milk for baby while I'm at work. Luckily, I have an abundant supply, so pumping enough is never an issue. My mom watches him for me during the day and gives him bottles on demand whenever he seems hungry, and she is pretty good at reading his cues. So he still has unrestricted access to my milk, just not straight from the tap. I suppose once he starts solids she will probably give him solids during the day, also. What does that have to do with giving purees, anyway? Didn't understand the point you're trying to make.
    I'm not sure, but I suspect she was thinking your child was in a standard day care setting. Unfortunately, BLS can be difficult for working moms since many child care facilities don't support it. You are lucky to be able to leave your baby with a family member that will support BLS.

I do think that now is the time to strongly consider how you eat. Your baby may be content early on to eat his own food, but eventually he will want what is on your plate. What he sees you eat, will help create his palate and food preferences for life. My children watch us eat a very diverse diet with a lot of fruit and veggies. Because of this, two of my son's favorite foods are Brussels sprouts and kale and DD loves broccoli.

I also have a good diverse eater.

Way too lazy for formula

yeah I must agree kids take after their parents fast. My children jump and down and yell yeah when we are having cabbage or collard greens. Funniest thing is my 5 y/o had a friend over for spring break, and was so happy when I said we were having collard greens, friend was not so happy as you can imagine. You should of seen the faces friend was making! And my DD was like what's wrong, don't you just love collard greens? lol haha Friend was like NO! lol haha BTW, we were eating one of the simpliest meals on earth that day! I took chicken breast, put them in the crock pot, put a jar of locally made bbq sauce on top (had no high fructose corn syrup or anything like that), a sliced onion on top, mixed in a 1/4 cup of vinegar and a 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and put on low for 6 hours, then shredded the chicken. It was sooooooo good. And sooo easy. I just used frozen veggies with it! We ate left overs 2 days later of it! That's my other tip make enough for more then one meal (it takes basically the same amount of time to fix two times the amount of food as one times the amount. Then you can freeze half of it and eat it again another day!

Sounds like you have some basic good ideas of good recipes. You could make it fun and just try one new recipe a month (look at pintrest there's tons of easy crock pot recipes on it) and add to your collection of recipes as you go.

And yeah it's super easy to make spaghetti sauce and almost impossible to make it wrong. At the same time, I am severely handicap and when I was recovering for a while I did use jarred sauce, till I found out how easy it was to make my own. I will say if you absolutely have to use jarred sauce look for the ones with out high fructose corn syrup they generally are lower in other bad stuff too. And taste better too.

I've been cooking for nearly 30 years and still try to add to my go to recipes, trying at least one new one a month. It helps keep things fresh and sometimes we find new family favorites, and truth be told often times it's faster and especially much cheaper then take out!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~