Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD and spraying and milk supply

Default OALD and spraying and milk supply

What say you mamas?

Does spraying always mean over active letdown (OALD), and does OALD always mean oversupply?

I am back to spraying again and I wasn't for a while. [sigh]

I will admit to constantly being worried about losing my supply to stress or fussy nursing behavior.

And when my boobs just feel normal and soft like they did before babies and nursing, I feel nervous. :/

Default Re: OALD and spraying and milk supply

Spraying doesn't always mean OALD, and it is possible to have OALD without oversupply. Some moms just have naturally fast, spraying letdowns, even when they have normal supply.

Don't let soft, empty-feeling breasts or fussy nursing behavior throw you for a loop. Both are normal provided baby is being nursed on demand and is having adequate diaper output. When in doubt, count diapers!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I guess I've always assumed (maybe incorrectly) that spraying was the definition of OALD. I can say from experience that it dosnt always mean oversupply. I feel like my milk supply is well regulated with this LO but I always let down really fast we've had to adapt and find ways that make it easier for DD to handle
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

I think the definition of OALD is simply milk that flows too fast for a particular baby. Some kids can handle fast letdowns, some can't.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with mommal. Many moms will spray, for example, when baby suddenly releases right at letdown, but who have had no issues with oald & thier babies have no issues with oald. When I pumped, the milk always "sprayed" into the tunnel, even when my kids were older and I certainly no longer had oald.

And when my boobs just feel normal and soft like they did before babies and nursing, I feel nervous.
    many moms have this fear but this is NORMAL for a breastfeedign mom to feel this way, especially after the first month or so. Past the early weeks, getting full between every nursing session is what would be outside of normal and could signal a breastfeeding issue-like oversupply or not nursing frequently enough.