Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My mother in law is pushing me to introduce cereal

Default My mother in law is pushing me to introduce cereal

My son is 2 months old yesterday and developmentally really advanced. He has been holding up his head since birth, laughing and smiling since 4 weeks, and supporting his weight (with help) on his legs for around two weeks, and he is sitting upright well with little help. We just went in for a check up and he has already almost doubled his birth weight.
    My mother in law has been asking me when I am going to start giving him cereal for a few weeks now and every time I tell her not until 4 months, period but after doing some reading online I'm wondering if he won't be developmentally ready to try solids earlier (not yet obviously but perhaps three months old instead of four). On the other hand we have only in the past two or so weeks been able to get him on a feeding schedule that cuts down on his gas and allows for regular stools so I'm not sure if we shouldn't wait til he is a bit older (like six to eight months) to introduce them.
    His pediatrician is very laid back on most all matters and so I'm not sure he would be much help in making this decision. Does anyone have any advice?

Default Re: My mother in law is pushing me to introduce cereal

It it not recommended to introduce solids before 4 months of age, no matter how developmentally advanced a baby is. Many experts recommend not introducing solids until 6 months- this article from kellymom explains why: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../delay-solids/. For me, the best reason to stay away from solids is that any time you feed baby a solid, it replaces some breastmilk in his diet. Breastmilk is nutritionally complete and supports a healthy immune system. Solids aren't and don't. Particularly cereal, which is fortified with vitamins and minerals but is otherwise nutritionally void. It's just pure starch and many moms do not use it as a first food.

When you say you have your LO on a feeding schedule, what do you mean exactly? Schedules are often the enemy of successful breadtfeeding because breastmilk supply = demand. If you restrict demand by spacing out feedings, you can end up with reduced supply and a baby who is miserable and not growing the way he should. You don't want to introduce a schedule in the hopes of seeing "regular" stools: breastfed babies often have irregular pooping patterns, and that is normal. Some babies will poop many times a day, others will poop just once a week or so. You should not look for a "regular" 1x per day poop pattern until your baby is eating a lot of solid foods, and achieving that pattern is not a reason to introduce solids.

WRT your mother-in-law, be firm and be clear. You are the mama, you make the decisions. If you let your MIL push you on solids, it's not going to stop there. She'll be pushing you on when to wean, and how much tv you let your kid watch, and when your kid can pierce his ear, and what college he will go to. Draw your boundaries now and avoid conflict later.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It it not recommended to introduce solids before 4 months of age, no matter how developmentally advanced a baby is. Many experts recommend not introducing solids until 6 months- this article from kellymom explains why: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../delay-solids/. For me, the best reason to stay away from solids is that any time you feed baby a solid, it replaces some breastmilk in his diet. Breastmilk is nutritionally complete and supports a healthy immune system. Solids aren't and don't. Particularly cereal, which is fortified with vitamins and minerals but is otherwise nutritionally void. It's just pure starch and many moms do not use it as a first food.

When you say you have your LO on a feeding schedule, what do you mean exactly? Schedules are often the enemy of successful breadtfeeding because breastmilk supply = demand. If you restrict demand by spacing out feedings, you can end up with reduced supply and a baby who is miserable and not growing the way he should. You don't want to introduce a schedule in the hopes of seeing "regular" stools: breastfed babies often have irregular pooping patterns, and that is normal. Some babies will poop many times a day, others will poop just once a week or so. You should not look for a "regular" 1x per day poop pattern until your baby is eating a lot of solid foods, and achieving that pattern is not a reason to introduce solids.

WRT your mother-in-law, be firm and be clear. You are the mama, you make the decisions. If you let your MIL push you on solids, it's not going to stop there. She'll be pushing you on when to wean, and how much tv you let your kid watch, and when your kid can pierce his ear, and what college he will go to. Draw your boundaries now and avoid conflict later.
    Agree with PP 100%, this int her child, it is yours. If you let her push you now, she will continue to push you with any and everyting else. Stand your ground, YOU are the momma!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

In addition to previous comments, I just want to encourage you not to rush solids. Breastmilk should be baby's entire intake for first 6 months and the primary nutrition going forward as long as you want/can keep it up. Do not rush solids. Not only can it be more work, it doesn't provide the nutritional value that is so necessary at the young age. Relax, enjoy your little one, and start solids when you are both ready. (I started all my children around 7-8 months, DS was ready earlier but we were in the middle of a kitchen renovation, and DD1/DD2 were not ready until closer to 8 months)
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

to all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hippehpanda View Post
    On the other hand we have only in the past two or so weeks been able to get him on a feeding schedule that cuts down on his gas and allows for regular stools so I'm not sure if we shouldn't wait til he is a bit older (like six to eight months) to introduce them.
    If this is the case, I would definitely consider waiting until at least 6 months. My little guy had lots of tummy trouble from the get go. We started solids around 5.5 months, but it lead to constipation and we decided to stop. We started up again at 6.5 months and let him feed himself rather than spoon feeding him, and his tiny tummy took to it much better.

You can always tell your mother in law that your pediatrician recommends waiting until 6 months to introduce solids (even if he hasn't actually said anything - although your clinic might have information sheets posted online that you can print an give to her with recommendations; mine does that), and that is what you intend to do given that he is the medical professional. I would put my foot down on this one; this involves your child's health. I saw a research paper a while back showing a correlation between early introduction of solids (before 6 months if I recall correctly) to childhood obesity. I'll see if I can find a link to it. I can look for the link to my hospital's recommendation sheet on solids too.

Well said, as always!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Yup - as above. 6 months.

Why would you take away something nutritionally complete and superior (breastmilk) only to replace it with something overly processed, not as nutritious and more difficult to digest (cereal)? Babe can only take in so much, so if you put in cereal, they're getting LESS breastmilk.

Tell your MIL no, you won't be starting any solids until 6 months old. You may choose not to use cereal at all!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Yeah, 2 months, or even 3 months is WAY too early to start solids. My pediatrician suggested rice cereal in a bottle (if I wanted to pump) to help reduce DD's reflux, but I was way too lazy for that! We also didn't introduce solids until 6 months and I think it was well worth the wait, if for no other reason than the fact that you do tend to have supply issues (though often temporary) with the introduction of solids. One thing to keep in mind is even if your LO is developmentally advanced, that does not mean his body maturity is physically advanced--that means that he still has the digestive system capabilities of a 2 month old, not a 4 month old. As for the MIL, I've had similar issues, but with weaning and foods introductions. She's not grasping the concept of waiting 3-4 days before introducing a new food, and this weekend she stayed w/ MIL for our anniversary and she gave my daughter a toddler gerber cookie to chew on! We have not introduced wheat, and IMO those cookies are for toddlers because they are big, break, and could be a choking hazard. This probably happened because I did not put my foot down on other things as firmly, or as quickly, as I should have (like when I found out they were sharing "tastes" of their margaritas with her, I let DH give it to them because I was too chicken and too mad!).

When you say you have your LO on a feeding schedule, what do you mean exactly?
    By feeding schedule what I really mean is time guideline. My son has received formula supplementation since his birth. I tried feeding him breastmilk exclusively for a week or two but he would go almost two days without a stool and seemed so uncomfortable so we added the formula back into his diet. Now he receives breastmilk in the mornings and evening and formula during the afternoon which has both relieved his gas pains and helped to make him more regular.

My mother in law has been very pushy since his birth. She wanted to bed share with him when he stays over night with her, and tried to fight with me when I told her it was unsafe. She is a much larger woman, and I have hesitations to bed share with him myself. She fusses over him 100% of the time she is around him and refuses to allow him any alone time to entertain himself, which is very important to me.

I know early solid introduction can be dangerous which is why I have been telling her no. I have also been seriously considering not giving him cereal as his first food when I do begin to introduce solids because I know it can cause constipation. I've been considering meat or fibrous veggie puree for when the time comes. I just wish that she would be more understanding that he is having wonderful healthy weight gain on just the breastmilk and formula and that he doesn't need solids yet.
    She is the kind of woman who thinks that giving a child who is new to solid food french fries to gnaw on is a good idea though, so I suppose it isn't surprising to me that health in regards to solids isn't her first priority.

Thank you all for your advice, it was just what I needed.

Another question though, when I do start introducing foods has anyone introduced one of those baby yogurts first? Do you have any luck with those, he is prone to thrush and I have heard yogurt is good for it, but obviously have forgone it because his little tummy isn't ready just yet.

Agree with mommal. Please also remember that a great reason to exclusively nurse is because baby has an open gut at this young age. Even though he may hold his head up early he is still quite a young infant and you cant see what his body and digestive system are like at this point which is why starting cereal (a single grain food source) isn't a good idea.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language