Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!!! When am I supposed to pump?

Default Help!!! When am I supposed to pump?

My baby will be five weeks old this week and I am finding it impossible to pump. I nurse numerous times during the day and have no problems with this. My issue is finding time to pump between feedings that will allow me to produce enough milk worthy of pumping. When I try to pump I only get a total of about 1 oz total from both sides. My little one is sucking me dry. When am I supposed to pump? Help!!!

Default Re: Help!!! When am I supposed to pump?

Are you going back to work in the next four weeks? Because if you're not, and your supply is good (which it sounds like it is), you don't have to pump at all.

If you are going back to work and you're trying to build up a small stash, I would suggest pumping once or at most, twice a day, preferably at a time when you make a lot of milk (mornings are best for most women), right after a feeding. 1 oz total from both sides, when you're nursing full time, is actually GREAT! But if you pump at the same time every day, your supply will go up at that time and you'll be able to pump a bit more. You do have to be consistent about it. Never fear - when you're pumping at work, it's MUCH easier to get decent quantities of milk, because you're pumping instead of nursing rather than pumping in addition to nursing.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Can't improve on the PP's advice.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I go back to work in 12 weeks, so I guess everything is okay. My supply is great in the morning, so maybe I'll start waking up about one hour before the morning feeding to pump. Thanks for your help!!!

Is it ok to pump before nursing? I've read that pumping is recommended after nursing. Will there still be sufficient supply to nurse the baby after pumping?

It's generally a good idea to pump right after nursing. If you pump before nursing, you may empty the breast too much for the baby to get a decent feeding. Then the baby is fussy, mom gets desperate, and before you know it you're using the bottle you just pumped.

I suggest pumping immediately after baby's first morning nursing session.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

12 weeks? Don't worry about pumping just yet, wait 6 more weeks. As pp mentioned when it's time to build a freezer stash you can either do a full session 1-2 x per day or you can pump for 10 mins or so after several sessions per day. You will build a stash very slowly but surely. This is what I did before returning to work with both my children. I would get like one oz each time and I saved the milk in the fridge until I got 3 oz of combined milk and would then freeze the milk flat. In 3oz portions.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

my supply is always top notch right before bed, i put DS down at about 8:30 and i go to sleep at about 10:30 so right before im about to go to sleep i pump and get a good amount.. if i pump any other time during the day i will get an ounce max. just try to pin point the time of day that ur supply is up, and when the baby will be sleeping for a few more hours