Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A 'middle way' of weaning?

Default Re: A 'middle way' of weaning?

I would highly recommend reading Mothering Your Nursing Toddler by Norma J. Bumgarnerg when your baby gets a bit older. What you think at 5 months of nursing can completely change by 1 year, 18 months and on into toddlerhood. Many Mothers who think they will not be nursing when their child is 3 or 4 are pleasantly surprsied that they are when the time come. The book gives many differing opinions and is an easy read.

Happy nursing. Enjoy!!
    Alene
    LLL Leader

I have a 2.5 year old and I honestly couldn't picture nursing a child that "old" when he was a baby. However, I do plan on weaning once all of his 2 year molars are through. I do love nursing him, but I'm feeling done. I admire my friends who nurse their preschoolers, but I would prefer not to. I am not worried about weaning him then, because he went for 6 weeks without nursing while I had to go away for a bit in Nov/Dec (I'm in the military), and he did fine for that period of time. So, I know he is not so attached to nursing at this point that he can't go without it.

I also agree about the manners. I don't nurse DS2 in public (and he's quit asking) and he has to ask nicely to nurse. Before he was really verbal I taught him to tap the upper part of my chest to signal that he wanted to nurse. Any other annoying behaviors he's developed I've been able to put a stop to.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

This sounds like a nice setup, hope I can make this work for us, too!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littleturtlelove View Post
    with PP, I pump weaned at 11 months and started cutting back nursings then too. I started giving him a sippy cup when I was away at work with some breastmilk I saved and coconut milk when he was 1. I gradually phased out feedings SLOW--- I'm talking a month here. Now we are happily nursing 1x a day right before bed. My son doesn't tear at my shirt or ask at all during the day. He just "knows" nursing is at bed time and that's it. I plan to continue breastfeeding between 18 mo and 2. Child led weaning isn't for everyone. You have to do what works for you and your family.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong