Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing Bra help

Default Nursing Bra help

I'm very large chested...I was a DDD while pregnant and now while nursing I MUST be at least an H or an I...my baby is only 3 weeks old so I haven't exactly had a chance to get measured. Besides, everytime I've ever been measured, I wasn't happy with what they came up with...I like my bras tight around my middle and for my breasts to be VERY supported...no saggage whatsoever. SO...my challenge with breastfeeding is that I've been told to buy a bra withOUT underwire...I never wear bras without underwire...I even used to wear the tank tops with the shelf bra in them to bed before I was pregnant. I basically NEVER went without a bra. Nursing bras are expensive, at least the good quality ones are, so I'm doing a ton of research before I buy one, and wanted some advice from larger breasted women...I want the support, but don't want to cause myself problems by buying underwire...I'm just afraid that any bra I buy without underwire will not give me the support I need/want.
    Here's the thing: My measurement around my bust is not exactly proportionate to my cup size. I am a 36-40, depending on the brand. So most times, bras will be large around my bust since I need a large cup size. I am currently wearing motherhood bras that are sport-bra-like, with racerback straps. Here are the problems with them. 1)Not enough support, 2) Uni-boob effect 3) Back rides up b/c I had to buy an extra large to get the cups to fit, but that made the bust (the fabric going around my bust) too large, so boobs fall out from underneath and the back rides up.
    4)Straps too thin, digging into shoulders.
    I am picky, yes I know, but I'm hoping to avoid trying every bra out there until I find the right one. Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Default Re: Nursing Bra help

I have a Bravado....think it is called nursing bliss. I LOVE it. I ordered it direct from the company and it was kinda pricey. My cousin just bought one (after trying mine) from diapers.com and it was cheaper. They do not have an underwire but are suprisingly supportive. They also come in a wide variety of sizes. The reason to avoid underwires is due to possibility of plugged ducts/mastitis. Good luck!
    Mom to Kaleb born 7/24/08......clueless about BF and began to supplement. Supply was gone at 8 weeks.

Sarah Beth born 11/29/11.....found this forum(lifesaver) and glad to say she has only had BM since day 1 and we are still going strong!

the bravado tanks are fabulous, and come up to J cup, i think - i splurged on 2 and then promptly grew out of them when my milk settled in. i'm in 34K royce bras, now, and i love the royce with no underwire. i am also not a fan of "full-sling" construction - seems lik ethat doesn't work for big boobs - mine just squeeze out through the hole.
    http://www.royce-lingerie.co.uk/ - my favorite is the sadie.
    there's also a good fitting chart on the royce page.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    the bravado tanks are fabulous, and come up to J cup, i think - i splurged on 2 and then promptly grew out of them when my milk settled in. i'm in 34K royce bras, now, and i love the royce with no underwire. i am also not a fan of "full-sling" construction - seems lik ethat doesn't work for big boobs - mine just squeeze out through the hole.
    http://www.royce-lingerie.co.uk/ - my favorite is the sadie.
    there's also a good fitting chart on the royce page.
    What is "full sling construction"?
    TIA!

Full sling - when you uncoupling the nursing flap, theres kind of a donut of fabric left surrounding your boob. Halfsling is more typical with nothin on the top. Kwim?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'm a 34 F/FF/G depending on branding and how far into nursing I am. Normally being a DDD to F, I hate hate hate not wearing an underwired bra. I put up with wireless bras for the first 2-3 months then switch to wired bras. The two I have (and love!):

This http://www.breakoutbras.com/product/...a/Nursing-Bras
    This one seems to fit true to size (ie I'm an 34F in this one)
    http://www.breakoutbras.com/product/...a/Nursing-Bras
    This one fits a cup size small (ie I'm a 34G in this one)

And my favorite non-wired bra (surprisingly good 'lift & separate' bra)
    http://www.breakoutbras.com/product/...a/Nursing-Bras
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])

ok I was told the same thing about underwire. But, I think there is a lot to consider before completely banning them.

1) Are you prone to low milk supply?
    2) are you prone to clogged ducts?

If one or two describe yourself, then yes it's probably good to steer clear of them. If you are not, then it may not cause you a problem. I think also that 1 and 2 can be caused by wearing the WRONG size underwire. Many women don't wear the right size, so that could be the confusion on people blaming the underwire, more then consumer error on getting the wrong size.

I at first only got non underwire. And because of my size (yeah a I cup too) the band underneath would wear out really fast (I was buying Goddess at the time) and then the girls would be down around my belly button in like 2 months. That was crazy at 60 dollars a bra!

So then I watched the Today show and they were showing lots of large size nursing bras. One I found was Elomi. it's underwire, but I get the correct size, and it's been working great for me. So far the bras have held up for 1 1/2 years, and still look new! I am really really liking them. I will say though nordstroms sized me wrong. (too small, but I knew it! And I told the woman it was wrong, she said I was wrong....yeah what ever. And I went with the size I thought. I am happy with the size I went with!)

If you live near NYC My Intimacy is the best fitters I have ever found. Only ones to ever get me correct. They only sell Anita brand in nursing bras though, and when I went to get fitted for them, they were totally honest when I tried on the H cup and said it was too small. Instead of like other stores who would of just went and got a bigger band, and tried to convince me they fit! UHG!

Any way take what you till. Those motherhood bras are awful, for such a store they sure don't care about their bigger customers, at all! I only wear the bras you are speaking of for when company comes to my house and I want to be in my nightgown/pjs when baby is newborn. I wouldn't leave the house in one. lol haha Oh and at the hospital I wear them too. But, that's it. lol

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Honestly, ot was such a nice surprise for me to find that nursing bras are actually cheaper than normal for me. I pay 60 - 80 for a good underwire normal bra in 34g or so. Nursing bras, 40! And bras are not meant to last longer than 6 months, even when they're not the only bra you wear. My nursing bras get a lot more wear and tear due to the moving parts. I've repaired them rather than replaced, which would give me better support, cause I'm still cheap, but.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

I wore a bravado nursing tank for the first 6-8 weeks then switched to underwire (non-nursing). I have not gotten any plugs ducts so I wasn't worried, and I knew the wire was big enough not to compress my ducts. But each woman is different. I hated the uniboob look of the nursing tanks, and I too need(ed) underwire for support.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months