Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping in a school?

Default Pumping in a school?

For those of your who are teachers, or work in a school, where do you pump? I'm trying to figure out where I can pump and my hr office and boss are not really helping. I'd like to go to them with some ideas but am honestly having a hard time figuring it out. Also because I'm not in the US, I don't have the law saying they have to provide me a space, although they do have to provide time. Anyway, would love to hear what works for you.

Default Re: Pumping in a school?

i am not a teacher in a school but my job requires me to visit schools as a guest a lot. i have pumped in random rooms, offices, science prep labs ( rooms in between two classrooms). there was once school where i ended up using a room for testing, another i was in a basement recreation room. even a closet if there is a plug!

a friend of mine always just goes to the nurses office. could you ask other moms?

i am pretty sure you will be able to find a space if you just hunt around a are creative. good luck

as a last resort i pump in my car but its better when you can plug into an outlet and have some freedom.

I am a teacher and am fortunate to have an office in my classroom this year - alleluia. Since you are asking this question, I assume that is not true for you. Sorry. If you have your own classroom, can you block out doorway windows and pull blinds in order to do it in your room? I used black paper over my office window to secure mine. If not, is there someone else at work that you are close to who could loan you their room? If you have any buddies in the main office (especially someone who has had to pump before), perhaps they could lend you their office? I do know other women who have pumped in closets, etc., but if you can secure a classroom that might be better.

Good luck - it's hard enough fitting pumping into the day without having to run all over the school. I hope you find something.

I am an ESL teacher at an elementary school so I don't have my own classroom. I pump in a tiny room that is not much bigger than a closet. There are a few small groups that meet in there during the day but I get to use it any other time. I know a lot of teachers at my school just lock the door to their own classroom though and put up a sign when the kids are at lunch, recess, specials, etc. I hope that helps. I'm sure something will work out.
    My sweet little Dylan was born 8/24/11.

If you are close to your car. I really really like pumping in my car best, when I am away from home. It's the easiest since I can leave my pumping station set up in the back seat-snacks, a beverage holder etc all in good places for me. And in the backseat most people can't see you back there, and I have never been bothered by any one back there. That being said, if the breakroom is mainly other women/teachers, I found a blanket thrown over the top and people can't see much and no one has ever made a fuss about me pumping in front of them. I have had a few want to "see" though! hahaha I did NOT let them though. Cause I was kind of caught off guard by them asking and freaked me out! hahaha

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

The car might work if I can't find another place. Oour break room is not a good option as we do have a lot of men at our school. Ill keep working on it. I'm sure I'll come up with something.

I can't believe they asked to see! I'm just starting to pump for practice and I find it very akward. I can't imagine having an audience.

Yeah I was pretty shocked she asked. That being said I have pumped in front of many people and most don't even realize what is going on. Once you get good at it it's easy. That was mainly though with family and me wanting to be with them so we could talk etc. Other times, personally I liked my alone time. And the car was good for that. I could have magazines, music, snacks etc, all there and could just even nap (I highly suggest a timer though if you decide to nap-so it will wake you up, other wise napping too long and over pumping when not used to it can hurt!) to be more relaxing and better for me. I often went to my car even if there was a "good" place to pump where we were. As long as my car was close enough, if it was too far then I would just make the best of it. But, if it was close enough, I found it just more fun cause I could do what I want and not be bothered by other people, and have a little time just for me, not very much of that when you're a mommy! lol I would even embroider sometimes! lol

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I'm a teacher and pump in my (male) vice principal's office! His is the only office without a window, and he put black construction paper in the tiny door peep-hole for me. He graciously leaves 3x a day for me, but I don't think he realized how often I'd be booting him out when he offered his space. Is there anyone with a private office that you'd feel comfortable asking to share? Its tough finding private rooms that lock in schools, so I feel your pain...good luck!
    7/28/11, weaned gently and gradually at 21 months

1/9/14, getting the hang of this breastfeeding thing all over again