Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Venting/advice???

Default Venting/advice???

So I just had my 3 child, and breastfeeding as with the other two. I love nursing, but I hate the first month to month and half! Nursing on demand isn't a problem, except for the fact I have overactive let down, and am constantly soaking myself with milk, otherwise she chokes! I might be an obsessive parent but I wake them every 2-3 hrs in the day to feed, and every 4-5 hrs at night for at least the first the month..... but I usually get them to feed long enough to get my let down and then just a minute if I am lucky after I put them back to the breast. My baby is wetting and pooing plenty I know she is getting enough, but all these small meals and my milk bath, is getting pretty annoying with 2 older sons.... any advice for longer feedings? I have tried when she isn't all the way awake, and making sure when she is completely awake, either way feed times last about the same time.... I just can't wait till she is older and has reg feedings and times! Anyway just had to vent, no one I know has ever breastfed, and has no advice to help, or has any way of understanding.

11/22/2006 - My Pro Athlete - Son

11/13/2008 - Mommy's Superhero - Son

03/15/2012 - What I didn't know I was missing, my baby girl

Default Re: Venting/advice???

I think you have a really good attitude, actually! The first couple months ARE hard, and having to deal with OALD or OS (and I feel you there!) and constantly being bathed in your own milk makes it even harder. You're recovering from the birth, your baby is nursing all the time, you're uncomfortable with leaking and engorgement, it's just HARD! But the thing is, as you know, it does get better, all on its own. Of course you can try to tank your baby up with longer nursings so that they will go longer between, but it doesn't always work. There's a certain amount of cluster nursing everyone seems to have to suffer through, you know? But then it gets easier, and later, breastfeeding is a breeze. You're not alone - we've all been there!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

the last thing you want to do when you have oald is limit the frequency of nursing sessions. Supply will regulate most quickly if you continue to nurse on cue and frequently, 10-12 times minimum a 24 hour day.

Put those little guys to work bringing you cloths to soak up the milk bath.

Also, are you pumping as well? I am just going by the pumping icon in your siggy-Pumping "extra" would make oversupply/oald worse...

How old is baby? If over two weeks, do you still have to wake baby to nurse?

No my icons are still from my last child... who is 3....no pumping, and I don't limit the feedings, I learned hard the with the last one it makes it all worse! My baby will be 2 wks old in a few days.... and I haven't actually had to wake her in a few nights, she does every about every hour and half, feeds for like 5 min, and then back to sleep...lol. Baby likes to take longer breaks in the day, which actually works a lil better, so I can give the other 2 plenty of me, as well. I guess I just find it frustrating because I worry she doesn't get enough, even though she has at least 10-12 wet diapers a day and 8-10 BMs a day, sometimes more for the past few days.... so in my head I know she is getting plenty, but her nursing times are so low. My breast feel less full after a feeding too, so I know she is getting her milk, but I stress for months till she grows and take those longer feedings with more milk. With my first child I exclusively pumped for 15 months, and I wonder if my milk comes out faster from all that pumping, because I do have a very good stream at just about all times with my breastmilk???? My second child who latched and I had no problems breastfeeding fed the same way.... about 5 min a feed to 10 min a feed for months, and was such a chunky healthy baby, i eventually let it stop bothering me... just the first few weeks jitters I guess, and reg feed concerns that I let get to me, I know one day she will be be just as a breeze as my other children.... just getting there...lol.

I doubt your pumping affected your milk flow for later children. I had OS and OALD, and we used to joke when Joe was a newborn that it looked like the poor kid was trying to suck on a fire hose. His eyes would get wide and he'd struggle to keep up, with milk dripping off his chin. My milk comes out with a powerful force, at least at first. Luckily, this is something that babies grow into, pretty quickly, really. By the time they're a few months old, they may even prefer that fast flow. But my experience was like yours - nursing sessions tended to be short, because baby got a whole lot of milk really quickly, but frequent. I often put Joe back on the same breast for the next feeding, to make sure he got some fattier hind milk, since I also had oversupply and I was concerned about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.