Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast feeding and gallbladder surgery

Question Breast feeding and gallbladder surgery

Hello Folks,

I may end up needing gallbladder surgery in the near future. I have 3 questions for anyone else who has experienced this while breast feeding:

1. I am having a HIDA scan on Wed to test the function of the gallbladder since the ultrasound showed inflammation but no gallstones. The HIDA scan involves an injection of a radioactive tracer substance. Both my Dr. and the surgeon agree that I shouldn't breast feed after the scan but neither has a firm suggestion about how long I should pump and dump. The Mayo clinic website suggests 1 - 2 days. Any of you get this information?

2. While I wait for surgery I need to eat a very low- to no-fat diet to avoid the excruciating symptoms. I'm not sure if this will adversely effect my supply?

3. I'm trying to decide whether to have my husband bring baby girl to the hospital (about an hour away) before and after the surgery so I can feed her, or if I should get a manual pump to take with me? It's laprascopic surgery so you get to go home the same day and I'm told it should take about 2 hrs.

Thanks folks! I'm both looking forward to this surgery so that life can go back to normal, and dreading it because surgery is scary!

Cynthia

Default Re: Breast feeding and gallbladder surgery

The best information for breastfeeding and medical procedures comes from Infantrisk. I can't give you a link from here (our filter blocks it for some reason) but Google Infantrisk and they will have a number to call for the most up to date information.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Found something else--this seems to imply that you shouldn't have to postpone nursing with the HIDA at all.

But definitely call Infantrisk.

Good luck--I hope you will feel better soon.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*allynpsych View Post
    1. I am having a HIDA scan on Wed to test the function of the gallbladder since the ultrasound showed inflammation but no gallstones. The HIDA scan involves an injection of a radioactive tracer substance. Both my Dr. and the surgeon agree that I shouldn't breast feed after the scan but neither has a firm suggestion about how long I should pump and dump. The Mayo clinic website suggests 1 - 2 days. Any of you get this information?
    According to Medications and Mothers' Milk, no interruption in breastfeeding is needed if the dose is 4 mCi or less. If it's more than that I'd definitely recommend calling Infant Risk (well, I'd recommend calling them anyway! Just to be certain and because I suspect it will be reassuring) -- (806)-352-2519, Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm US Central Time.

2. While I wait for surgery I need to eat a very low- to no-fat diet to avoid the excruciating symptoms. I'm not sure if this will adversely effect my supply?
    It shouldn't. As long as you're not severely restricting calories it shouldn't have any effect on your supply.

3. I'm trying to decide whether to have my husband bring baby girl to the hospital (about an hour away) before and after the surgery so I can feed her, or if I should get a manual pump to take with me? It's laprascopic surgery so you get to go home the same day and I'm told it should take about 2 hrs.
    If it's doable, it would probably be easiest on you and your baby to have her at the hospital so you can just nurse. But if you find that's not going to work, I'm sure there are moms here who have been through something similar and can give you suggestions about handling the separation.

Good luck! I hope it won't be too long before you feel better!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--