Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you switch from EBM to Cow's?

Default How do you switch from EBM to Cow's?

Hi ladies, sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I am having a TON of trouble pumping enough for my little guy anymore. He is a little over 11 months and I was thinking about just transitioning him to cow's milk at day care. He has already had some, so we know he is not allergic.

How do you make this change? As it is right now, I barely scrape 5 oz for him for a 9 hour day. He drinks that in two bottles and has some goat's milk. DCP reports that she can get him to drink a little of the goats milk but he prefers mine, so he doesn't really suck it down or anything. He eats REALLY well for solids.

I am thinking about trying cow's and goat's. Do I just stop the bm cold turkey? Do I maybe send whatever I get and that's that? I am so sick of stressing about it. I only have 3.5 oz for tomorrow, so I am going to have to night pump and pump in the morning

Any advice is appreciated!
    (PS: I have tried pretty much everything to incr. output, incl buying a new pump)
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

Default Re: How do you switch from EBM to Cow's?

All I did was offer a sippy cup of milk instead of a bottle one day, like for the lunch time bottle. He loved it. When that seemed to be OK, we dropped the dinner time bottle. Then he dropped the morning one himself and wanted to eat like the big boys and its just gone from there.

So...I would keep sending the 5 oz, if you have it, but send a cup of cow's milk and see how it goes. If he likes it and seems to do OK with it, then pump wean.

I know you have tried everything. I think you are one of the mamas for whom pumping just doesn't cut it long term.

But keep nursing as much as possible, and you could do that for years
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

DJ wouldn't take cow's milk until he was almost two. So we just fed him water in a sippy while at daycare and made sure we were nursing at least 3 times in a 24hour period and all was fine. I wouldn't stop cold turkey. I would cut one session a week for as many weeks at it takes to eliminate engorgement.

Way too lazy for formula

I have never been engorged! I have relatively large breasts and wonder if that is why. Anyway, I do plan on going from 2 pumps to 1 at work. Lately I have been trying to pump in the morning, after I get home and before bed. Each time I get maybe .5 to 1 oz. So not worth it!!

We tried him on whole milk today in a bottle at day care, he loved it, thank goodness. So I am going to just send what I get in one bottle, and maybe ask her to try the sippy for the other milk. He has a habit of sucking water in and spitting it out with the sippy, hopefully he won't do that with milk!

We still nurse about 4-5 times when we are together on week days, depending on how often he wakes up. I am definitely planning on continuing that at least until I get pregnant again (later in the year o.O!) Thanks for the advise ladies, you're right Susan the pump just never seemed to work for me! I am so jealous of women like my sister who get 20 oz at one sitting and have to worry about over flowing the bottles that attach
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

Once he's one, if you are nursing him 4-5 times a day, he doesn't actually NEED milk at day care at all. He can theoretically do just solids and water. We did introduce cow's milk around this time, too, but it helped me to know that it wasn't strictly necessary - if he didn't drink much, I didn't sweat it. Joe learned to love cow's milk, but initially, the transition was a little rough. Like Susan, we just offered it and let him drink it if he wanted.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.