Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not much milk

Default not much milk

My son will be 3 the end of May and is still nursing. He usually nurses at bedtime and then possibly once at night, always in the morning when he wakes up and also at naptime but he only is napping maybe 1-2 times a week. This week he has been driving me crazy switching sides every minute and telling me he drank it all or there isn't any milky. The only time I'm feeling a letdown is at bedtime and he continues then to nurse to fall asleep even after I'm drained. Nothing has changed, no medications, I've had my period back for a year now, not stressed. Still loving nursing. I don't know why he is telling me there isn't any milk. Is this normal for this to happen after nursing so long? I always thought I'd keep producing just as much as he needed as long as he continued to nurse. What can I do? He sometimes gets upset and wants more and I can't do anything. Should I start pumping again? I hate that! I let him nurse anytime he wants at home and I'm a SAHM so I'm not sure what to do or if this will cause him to wean

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

Default Re: not much milk

Could you be pregnant?

But it is very common for moms of toddlers to not have lots and lots of milk, and it's normal. If he dropped naps and associated nursing, demand was less so you have less milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Some possibilities:
    - He's not telling you the truth about there being no milk- 3 year-olds often don't tell you the whole story
    - At age 3 he's become too impatient to wait for a letdown
    - He's self-weaning- losing interest in working for a letdown can be how weaning starts
    - You're pregnant...? That can kill supply.

If your LO gets upset when there's "no more milk" you can either encourage him to nurse more and work harder at the breast or you can start pumping and up your supply that way. You could also try fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal, all of which help some moms increase supply. Provided you're not pregnant, that is, since if your supply decreases due to pregnancy there's nothing you can do about it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the help, I'm postive I'm not pregnant! I do agree that he is impatient and not wanting to wait for let down but the past couple days, it has been colder outside again and he has been nursing more and working hard to get a let down but it really seems that my supply has dwindled considerably. I tried pumping and not only do I hate it but my son completely freaks out and wants me to stop. For some reason the pump upsets him. I don't want to do it after he goes to sleep because he has been waking up around midnight to nurse and this seems like the only time I realy know he is getting some milk because it is the only time I actually hear swallowing. So, I'm going to start oatmeal for breakfast and I was thinking of drinking mother's Milk tea. Would you also suggest I take fenugreek with that and if so, how much of each should I be taking? I really feel that he is upset by the fact that he isn't getting as much milk lately and it shows in his mood. It seems almost strange to me that I am trying to increase my supply for an almost 3 year old but I feel that is what i should do.I hope this is what I should do and that I'm not messing with the natural weaning process. I think my hormones are going crazy as well, I have noticed some imbalances this week LOL!
    So, after my rambling , I guess I'm ready to try to increase my supply I'm just not sure what and how much to take.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang