Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 mo refuses solids and bottles

Default 8 mo refuses solids and bottles

My LO is still refusing any types of foods. We have tried a variety of foods.. Puréed and cereals, but he either blocks, shudders, spits, or gags when it is placed in his mouth. For the first three months he was in the 95th percentile for height and weight and is now below the 50th percentile for the last few months. He is plateauing and I am getting worried. His ped is somewhat worried and wants me to try anything to get his interest in food. She even (jokingly) suggested marshmallows!!! I don't know what else to try or should I not worry?

He also will not allow any type of bottle, sippy, cup, straw, dropper, syringe, or spoon in his mouth. He has great reflexes and can defend things to his mouth. Any suggestions???

He has also been sick a lot with congestion and cough which makes it hard to breathe... So I'm not sure if his plateauing is due to being sick so much.

Default Re: 8 mo refuses solids and bottles

Have you tried to let him feed himself? Mine refused to be spoonfed, and although he didn't actually consume much until after 10 months he was certainly interested in food and enjoyed mealtimes as long as we let him feed himself. Tomatoes have always been a favorite here. Those, plus banana, avocado (lots of healthy fats!), baked sweet potato, etc. also don't require teeth.

Breast milk is much more calorie dense than solids, so I would make sure that he's nursing well rather than worrying about solids as far as weight gain goes (although weight does tend to plateau later in infancy, so I'm not convinced it's really a problem). As long as you keep solids a fun, low stress, no pressure thing, eventually he will eat.

DS1 did not want to be fed--and he wanted the food we were having. With our ped's blessing, we just gave him what we were eating and he fed himself. Sometimes I could feed him messier things (yogurt, for example) as long as he had something to feed himself.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thanks all... we have let him have finger foods like cheerios, mum-mums, fruits, etc... he will pick them up and bring it to his mouth. However, once it hits his mouth he shakes his head, closes his eyes, and spits and drools until the flavor is out of his mouth. If he happens to get a piece in his mouth, he starts gagging so much that he throws up. I tried doing really liquidy rice cereal with bm, but that doesn't work either bc he knocks whatever comes to his mouth out before it gets to his mouth.

@phi... I'm not sure if he is getting enough. He eats about every 2-4 hours for no more than 5 minutes! I don't think that is enough, but dr says that he will eat when he is hungry and he looks healthy. I'm worried but they keep saying he is good.

My son only nursed for a few minutes at a time until he was close to a year, when he started doing more comfort nursing. He thrived on these super short nursing sessions, so I wouldn't be too worried about getting enough milk in 5 minutes. If he looks good, seems to be developing well, and your doctor is happy, then I really think that you have nothing to worry about. You can always offer to nurse more frequently if you are concerned, but I wouldn't sweat it if he refuses to nurse more frequently.

It may very well be that your baby just isn't ready for solids. You can just let him play around with finger foods and wait for him to decide to eat as long as he continues to nurse on demand. However, if you are worried that his food aversion could stem from a sensory issue, then you can take him to a speech therapist. A speech therapist can identify such an issue and give you exercises to help your baby overcome it.

My youngest really did not take solids with any regularity or enthusiasm until he was 14 months old. I certainly tried, his older brother started solids at 5.5months, I worried, but ultimately this was his normal and he subsequently never had any health issues or eating difficulties. Around 9 months, One pediatrician freaked that he was not eating solids, another had no worries. In my son's case, there was no issue with weight gain although he did have slightly low iron when tested at 9 months.

As pp mentioned breastmilk has higher caloric/healthy fat content than most solids you could give a baby. So if the main concern here is weight gain, pushing solids would not be a solution unless you suspect you have low milk supply. Basically, if the concern is weight gain, more breast milk is going to help with that, much more than more solids.

Kellymom has a nice article about the caloric/fat content of various milks: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milkcalories/

and common baby foods: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...yfoodcalories/
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; March 26th, 2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: for clarity