Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Right side not responding to block feeding

Default Right side not responding to block feeding

Hi,

I just realized (about a week ago) that I had an oversupply problem...ds was diagnosed with reflux instead of finding the real problem! Anyway, I've been block feeding and my left side has responded really well, but my right side (which incidentally is more difficult for ds to latch on to in the first place because the nipple is flat) just doesn't seem to get it! Any suggestions for how to even out the sides? The combination of the oversupply/OALD and difficulty latching on this side is really making me wonder if I should just directly feed him from the left side all the time and just pump the right! I don't even know if that's possible...I don't really need the expressed milk because I'm a SAHM, but it's so frustrating finally getting him latched on only to have him pull off because the milk is flowing too fast. Any advice? Thanks!

Heather

Default Re: Right side not responding to block feeding

Welcome to the forum! Oversupply/OALD can be so very frustrating. You might try doing a longer time block on the left side, shorter on the right. So, say you nurse from the left side for 4 hours, then nurse from the right side for only 3 hours? My right side also is the monster overproducer ... I also did block feeding by nursing sessions ... so instead of time blocks I nursed on the left side three times, and the right side twice. This seemed to help tell my right side (overproducer) to calm down a bit. Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Hi! I also did something similar to what paint-the-moon did...when I first realized I had OALD, my right side had a much worse oversupply. After doing 4 hr blocks on both sides, right side was still worse, so for awhile, I did 4 hours on left, 2 hours on right. Now I'm doing 2 nursing sessions on each side before switching...both the same now...and everything is doing well. I still feel the let-down stronger on the right, but neither breast gets engorged anymore. Yay!

Work with your blocks, and adjust as needed for you.
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

Thanks so much for the tips! I will try extending the time on the left side and hopefully that will work. This board is great!! Thanks again!

Heather