Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really need some insight *low supply*

Default Really need some insight *low supply*

My ds is a little over 4 months now and everything has been going great until recently, I honestly feel my supply has dropped. He will latch on and constantly pull off the breast and get so frustrated like there is no milk flow. In 2 weeks he only gained 2 ounces and he is constantly acting hungry (eating his hand, smacking loudly, he just never seems satisfied.)

I've tried pumping but I hate it and really do not respond well at all to the pump. Drinking mothers milk te like crazy all day, oatmeal, fenugreek does nothing. I'm so sad about this, I am so not ready to stop bfing. Do you ladies have any ideas??? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Really need some insight *low supply*

Thought I should add, we don't use binkies or bottles. He is exclusively breast.

First off, please be reassured that even if your supply really has mysteriously dropped, which I doubt, that does not mean you have to stop breastfeeding! In the very, very rare case a mother has irreversible low supply and cannot nurse exclusively, she can still nurse and supplement as needed. Breastfeeding need not be all or nothing.

2nd, supply does not just dry up for no reason. So, if indeed your supply has gone down, first look at what could have happened. Have you started taking something that reduces milk production (like hormonal birth control?) Have you been scheduling or "putting off" feedings? Has baby started sleeping a very long stretch (more than 5 hours) at night? Are you back at work or for some other reason regularly separated from baby?

3rd, Lots of moms become erroneously convinced they have low supply at some point and it is almost never actually the case. Baby acting hungry and a lack of pump output does not mean much from a supply standpoint. Nor does breasts “feedling empty,” baby wanting to nurse a lot, or, after 6 weeks, infrequent poops mean there are any supply issues.

But the fact your baby stopped gaining well is worrisome. Was there illness (you or baby), stress, a nursing strike, distractibility, general family business, any other reason the gain would suddenly be so reduced? Was baby gaining well prior to this? Have you tried increasing nursing sessions, in frequency and duration?

Look at this Kelly mom article and if nothing gets a light bulb going off let us know. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

I just wanted to mention my DD got really distracted and fidgety at 4 months and would pull off like you described. Sometimes I would hold her hand, nurse in a dark room, or walk and sway her and nurse at the same time and that worked to keep her latched. It was a phase and she calmed down in a few weeks. Another thought, growth spurt? If so, I would think just continue nursing a lot and offer the breast all the time, even if he's not staying in long.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Same as with pizanite, my son got very distractable around that age. I had to feed him in a quiet room for a while at this age, and he did pop off and drag my nipple around all the time. I can't speak about the weight gain. I think babies go through different spurts and lulls, so you may have just caught a lull. The good news is, this was just a short phase for my son! He did this for maybe a few weeks.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

I never time his feeding or feed on a schedule. I AlWAYS feed on demand when possible. His weight really hasnt been a huge decrease I don't think. He was 7lbs born and seemed to be doing great besides these last two visits. Thankfully, he hasn't lost any, just slow gaining. I think you might be right about being distracted though. He will constantly go on and off the breast look around come back, over and over. He will scrunch up too and grunt in between.

The only thing that has really changed with me is I started back on my prenatals but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Not pregnant of anything just really like them lol i dont take birth control either. He has always been a one side only eater and with eat for about 5 min and be done until next time. He started out when born eating for 10-15 min intervals but at about 2 months was a 5 min eater. This last time I fed him I offered the second breast and he took it, also tried out my mommy necklace for him to play with, which he did like and seemed to pull off less.

What could be causing him to scrunch up and grunt? Also, how many let downs should one have while feeding? I always only have one, should I be having more? Should he be eating longer?

Thanks so much for answering my questions

How are his wets and poops?
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

My son did some weird stuff at that age, too! He would scrunch up and then extend back, and repeat over and over. SUPER annoying. Also, around 5 months I started offering both sides at feedings, up until then he had been a one-side eater, too. My son is a slow gainer, but he always has been.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!