Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: forceful big spit up

Default forceful big spit up

My baby spits up a fair amount normally. But 3 times now (3rd was just recent) she spits up A LOT and instead of dribbling out her mouth or chin, it comes out in a big spray like turning on a hose. Sort of like when older children throw up. Its also A LOT during these times, I am not exagerrating it looks like 1/2 to 1 cup of milk. There is no warning, other than a bit fussy, but nothing major, and she is fussy that way other times without the spit up.

SHe is 3 weeks old. She is content otherwise, sleeps well, nurses well, gaining well, etc. She doesn't seem bothered by it. She rarely cries.

I've never seen this in any of my other kids. She does spit up a fair amount otherwise and I do have a lot of milk. She normally only feeds a few minutes even from the beginning but all my kids did this and all gained well.

I'm off now to clean it all up its everywhere.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Default Re: forceful big spit up

My oldest made these kinds of giant spit ups. It was due to overactive letdown. This would be the time your milk supply should be peaking, so that may be exacerbating any oald.

As long as baby is gaining & pooping appropriately and happy, spit ups, even large ones, are nothing to be concerned about. If you suspect OALD you can try some things to counteract the oald, like nursing frequently, letting baby “finish the first breast” before switching, even if this means baby takes one breast at a feeding, and nursing “uphill.” Do not do block feeding though, it is far to early to assume this is oversupply.

Oald article: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

Thank you for the info, it does seem like it must be OALD. I do notice spitting up in general is much better when I nurse only on one side per feeding. Often that is all she will take.

Would the OALD problem be related to how all my babies, even as newborns, rarely nurse for very long per feeding? Like 5-10 minutes tops...this baby its more like 3 minutes! She does feed fairly frequently, but also does do long stretches at times and especially at night. She seems to cluster feed in general. I never have understood why my babies seem to feed so quickly, yet they all gain well and are healthy. I just feed them on cue and don't worry about it, but I've always wondered.

Often babies whose moms have OALD feed very quickly, even as newborns. The milk comes out so fast that baby gets full in a hurry. Since the usual root cause of OALD is oversupply, babies whose moms have OALD often gain weight very quicky. They get a full meal with very little effort and they get it every single time.

OALD causes fast feedings and often correlates with rapid weight gain, but fast feedings don't cause OALD or correlate with any particular rate of weight gain. Does that make sense?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son was the same way and I took him to the ped after I freaked out one night when he soaked me. I was just told that some babies spit up a lot and I should hold him upright for 45 minutes after feeding. I went to drop-in clinic hours, so I didn't get to see one of my two regular peds, and I didn't like this other lady at all, I wonder if one of my regular peds would have given some better advice. Anyway, I was told that at this age DS should be feeding on both sides at each feeding, so that is what I was doing, even though he seemed satisfied after one side and it was against my instinct to switch sides, I did it because that is what the literature said.

I kind of stumbled upon block feeding. At night, we would only nurse on one side, and he never spit up on me at night (we co-slept at this time) and he would be lying down. A light when on; I started feeding only one side per feeding and the spitting settled down a bit. After reading about OS/OALD I decided to try longer block feeding and it help quite a bit. I was going 4 hours on one side only for a while.

In the end my son always fed on one side only. If we used both sides at one feeding my breasts would freak out and start producing milk for a football team again.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Thanks ladies this makes total sense. Its working best for us to just nurse one side or else she spits up a lot. She is gaining on average 1 1/2 ounces a day and doing well.

DS1 did this too. He was perfectly happy, but he regularly did the projectile spit up thing.

I also am willing to bet that it really does look like more than it is. If you take a few ounces of of liquid and spill it on the table it will look like way more than you expect.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine