Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing after appendectomy

Default Nursing after appendectomy

Hello, I'm going to be having an appendectomy and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation. DS is 9 mo, takes some solids but still nursing 6-8x per 24 hours. My surgeon told me to pump & dump for 24 hours post-surgery, but the nurse who scheduled me said I can pump one time after the anesthesia wears off and then it's fine to nurse. I would definitely prefer not to pump & dump for 24 hours as DS rarely takes a bottle and will not be happy if he can't nurse at night. I have a feeling the doctor was just being conservative, but I feel a bit nervous about not following his instructions. Any advice?

Default Re: Nursing after appendectomy

Call infantrisk, they can give you specific advice. They are very friendly and helpful.

InfantRisk is a great resource. You can call them at (806)-352-2519, Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm US Central Time. They'll need to know the names and dosages of the medications you'll be receiving.

The general guideline about anesthesia is that if you're alert enough to safely hold your baby, enough of the medication is out of your system that it's safe to nurse.

I hope everything goes smoothly and you feel better quickly!

Thank you, I will try to get that information so I can call them.