Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suddenly having green diapers

Default Suddenly having green diapers

My DD had been sick for a week now. It started as a respiratory virus (thankfully not RSV!) and ended up with an ear infection. She is finally starting to get better but the day we took her back because of the ear infection, she started having these green, very slimey poops. Is this from the virus or where she hasn't been nursing good and not getting enough hind milk? Has anyone else had this happen?
    Mom to Kaleb born 7/24/08......clueless about BF and began to supplement. Supply was gone at 8 weeks.

Sarah Beth born 11/29/11.....found this forum(lifesaver) and glad to say she has only had BM since day 1 and we are still going strong!

Default Re: Suddenly having green diapers

Green poops during/after illness are quite common. Sometimes it's because baby hasn't been nursing well, sometimes it's a side-effect of the illness of of medications taken to treat the illness (especially antibiotics). Just keep nursing her as much as possible and if the poops don't eventually return to a more normal color, then revisit the issue once baby is completely well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She is on an antibiotic for the eat infection but the green poops.started before the med. I will keep an eye on her though. Thanks!
    Mom to Kaleb born 7/24/08......clueless about BF and began to supplement. Supply was gone at 8 weeks.

Sarah Beth born 11/29/11.....found this forum(lifesaver) and glad to say she has only had BM since day 1 and we are still going strong!

I would say it has to do with the virus but certainly watch it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn