Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dilated milk duct?!?

Default Dilated milk duct?!?

This feels weird... For over ten days now, when my right breast gets a little full with milk (not overly full, not engorged), I can feel a firmer area under the areola. The area seems to have a kind of long shape--it's not a ball, more like an oval or tube, if that makes sense. The size varies a bit every time. After nursing and emptying the breast, the firmness disappears and the area feels soft again.

This tends to happen in the morning, after a full night without nursing, and not during the day, when I nurse more often.

Initially I thought it was a plug, but it keeps coming back, so it doesn't seem like it's a plug. Sometimes it's a bit tender, but I'm dealing with shingles on my breast and the whole breast is therefore sore (the nerves are all irritated), so it's difficult to know what is the source of pain. Sometimes it's actually painless.

I went to the doctor for shingles and saw a PA (not a doctor). She didn't examine my breast manually, but told me that from my description it sounds like a dilated milk duct. And she said it would only be worrisome if it didn't disappear after nursing.

I'm still intrigued and slightly nervous about it though. I don't know if it has to do with the shingles (because it caused general inflammation in the area) or not, but I only noticed this after the shingles started. Wondering if anyone has any insights?...
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Default Re: Dilated milk duct?!?

That has always been normal in my breasts when they are full and/or letting down.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Aaaaah! Glad to know! I hadn't heard/read about it anywhere and was a bit disconcerted. Perhaps I'd had this all along, but only noticed now because the breast is so much more sensitive.

Oh, Teal, by the way, congratulations on your new little girl! I'd been seeing your signature when you were expecting and I now see she's almost a month old! What a lovely and crazy time... I miss it!

i love my little one

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    Aaaaah! Glad to know! I hadn't heard/read about it anywhere and was a bit disconcerted. Perhaps I'd had this all along, but only noticed now because the breast is so much more sensitive.

Oh, Teal, by the way, congratulations on your new little girl! I'd been seeing your signature when you were expecting and I now see she's almost a month old! What a lovely and crazy time... I miss it!
    Thank you! She's just wonderful.

I think you're right. I think we probably just explore our bodies more, pay closer attention to them, when there is a problem that we are trying to solve. Probably we just don't notice as much when everything is going great. I hope things start really settling down again for you soon and you are more comfortable!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

thank you, Teal! i remember a long time ago, when my baby was 5.5 months, i had a horrible major plugged duct that almost killed my supply and took over a quarter of my breast. at that time, i posted here, and found great comfort and wonderful advice. and i still remember your reply, it was so heartwarming and sensitive. since then i always like to read your posts... maybe i'm sentimental, but i wanted to share.

enjoy your little girl!

i love my little one