Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

Default Re: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

I did 8 hours on one side, not 24. Sorry the way I said it was misleading. When I swapped it was just about as difficult as usual since I had such an oversupply at that point that I was pretty much always busting. It helped to start the 8 hours in the morning so that when I switched it was evening when my supply is generally lowest. I hand expressed a bit more right before I switched, let her suck until letdown (about 1 suck) then took her off and caught the spray in a towel. Once the initial letdown slowed a bit I put her back on. That is how I still do it first thing in the morning when my supply is highest. Also, that whole day I dedicated to just nursing. We laid in bed so I could do laid back nursing and I even had snacks set up so that we didn't have to focus on anything else. The next day I stayed on one side until it felt close to empty then switched based on the cues of my body. I saw a slight difference that first day then an evening out a week or so later. Now, I really just listen to her cues and my body to decide when to nurse and when to switch sides. We do not follow a schedule. She still almost always nurses on only one side at a time and it usually takes her about 5 minutes. I still have oversupply and if she decides to sleep for a little longer than usual I feel really full and the letdown can be pretty strong. She still sometimes gags and yells at me, but mostly she has learned to manage what my supply is now. I have squirted a random passerby when she pops off with the initial letdown, but I try to be glad that at least I know I have enough milk for her. I never hand express now because I think it increases my supply. I pump while at work, but no other time and I make sure to only pump the amount she would have likely eaten. If I'm overfull I put her to the breast to see if she is hungry if not she just closes her mouth to it, but it is enough to start the milk flowing enough to be more comfortable. I just catch it in a towel (prob should catch it in a bottle).

Another thing that I find useful when I'm overfull is holding her in a way that is the same direction as my body. Whether sitting up, laying down or slightly reclined I have her feet toward my feet and her head to my head. Somehow this seems to help her to choke less. Also, she has reflux and as much as I didn't want to give her meds they have helped tremendously. It is worth looking into if you haven't. Not sure if you said you did or not.

Good luck with everything. I remember people saying to me "Well at least you have enough milk." and I always thought yeah well what good will that do if she can't eat it because it blasts her across the room or hurts her belly. Anyway, hang in there and I hope it gets better soon.

Aprilsmagic, did you hand express to get letdown going? When you say you sprayed about 8oz, was that just letting the let down spray or did you hand express after the spraying stopped? I probably only spray out about an oz in a let down, but as soon as I squeeze or press my boob or she latches it sprays really forcefully. If I only let the letdown spray, she just can't cope but I'm scared to let more than the letdown go as I think it may I crease supply. Not sure why more doesn't spray out as it is so forceful as soon as she latches. She literally chokes on every suck! Should I let more go, till it slows or will that increase supply?

I could just lean over and get the letdown going and I would express just a bit after it stopped spraying -- like spraying for 4-5 minutes -- so it wasn't as forceful. But yes, you have to balance it all out so you don't have an oversupply.

It will get better. And it turns into a blessing in the long run.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well still block feeding and baby still really struggling and refusing. Also having lots of peppermint and using cabbage leaves, just hope I see some improvement soon. Here is link to a great medical paper on oversupply, it is quite long but very interesting and does give a bit of hope if we persevere
    http://overactiveletdown.com/documen...fectsOfOAM.pdf

Unhappy Re: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

Ok, so I'm still block feeding, works out about 2 good feeds on a side before I swap. I am soo engorged when I swap, so I either take her off for the let down or hand express to let down and let it spray. This is not working as she still struggles with the flow so much that today she has refused 4 feeds completely and screamed and sucked choked sucked pulled off etc then given up not taking a full feed. I tried hand expressing to let down letting it spray and then hand expressing a little more, so about 2oz in total but she still couldn't cope! I am going to try to extend my block times, however I will have to hand express a bit more for comfort and also when I swap sides at the beginning of a block there is no way that she will cope, so I will have to try hand expressing more, say 3 or 4oz or else she can't feed. Will this still work to reduce supply? I think I will still be quite full after 3 or 4oz but not engorged. Also when I am engorged badly, the let down doesn't sprat unless I touch my boob or she latches, is this coz I'm so full? It sprays loads as I get softer? Also, when I hand express after let down it sprays numerous streams very forcefully, is that normal, or do I need to hand express till it doesn't spray out? I'm desperate now, as need to sort this so baby doesn't totally stop nursing, thinking of taking low dose combined contraceptive pill for 4 days to reduce supply, any experience or advice?Also if I do this and supply drops too much, is it easy to build up again? Don't want to damage supply, but no point in having loads of milk if baby can't feed! As always, I would be grateful of any advice.