Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

    Ok, so I have been trying to block feed all day, fed on right side at 6.15 am ish, she went onand off refusing till 8am, then fed same side at 9am, she went on and off refusing till 10.15am ish fell asleep for 15mins.Fed on left at 11am ish, she went on and off refusing till 12.45am ish fell asleep for 40mins, then again on left at 2pm ish on and off refusing till 3.30pm, fell asleep for 15mins. Fed on right at 5pmish, on and off till refusing till 7pm(so been asleep 20mins so far, still latched on, wakes uo if I take her off! When I say on and off refusing I mean, she has a few sucks, struggled, gulps, pulls off, screams, arches, fights, sucks my bra, arm, anything apart from boob, if I put her down, she gives hunger cues , shouts and cries, so I offer again and she screams, turns away etc, then with time(a lot of time) latches, sucks, chokes, pulls off and here we go again. The 2nd time on a side is slightly better than the 1st as I'm obviously not as full, however as you can see the 1st feed almost leads into the 2nd feed and then the 2nd feed almost leads in to the swap. I think that the longest I have had without feeding or trying to feed today is about an hour. Not sure what to do, if I block feed she refuses as she just can't cope with flow, I have been taking her off for let down, but she can't cope with flow before or after. I think that for her to cope with the flow when I swap, I would have to hand express about 5oz(that's a guess). If I did this, would my supply increase or just not decrease as quickly? When she is a bit happier feeding I could slowly try to hand express less. Do you think this would work or would I find myself having to express more and more for her to cope? Anyone have any experience of having to express when block feeding. Would again be grateful of any advice. May also post same thing on "too much milk" forum incase anyone different viewing. Thanks everyone!

  2. #22

    Default Re: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jah73 View Post
    Ok, so I have been trying to block feed all day, fed on right side at 6.15 am ish, she went onand off refusing till 8am, then fed same side at 9am, she went on and off refusing till 10.15am ish fell asleep for 15mins.Fed on left at 11am ish, she went on and off refusing till 12.45am ish fell asleep for 40mins, then again on left at 2pm ish on and off refusing till 3.30pm, fell asleep for 15mins. Fed on right at 5pmish, on and off till refusing till 7pm(so been asleep 20mins so far, still latched on, wakes uo if I take her off! When I say on and off refusing I mean, she has a few sucks, struggled, gulps, pulls off, screams, arches, fights, sucks my bra, arm, anything apart from boob, if I put her down, she gives hunger cues , shouts and cries, so I offer again and she screams, turns away etc, then with time(a lot of time) latches, sucks, chokes, pulls off and here we go again. The 2nd time on a side is slightly better than the 1st as I'm obviously not as full, however as you can see the 1st feed almost leads into the 2nd feed and then the 2nd feed almost leads in to the swap. I think that the longest I have had without feeding or trying to feed today is about an hour. Not sure what to do, if I block feed she refuses as she just can't cope with flow, I have been taking her off for let down, but she can't cope with flow before or after. I think that for her to cope with the flow when I swap, I would have to hand express about 5oz(that's a guess). If I did this, would my supply increase or just not decrease as quickly? When she is a bit happier feeding I could slowly try to hand express less. Do you think this would work or would I find myself having to express more and more for her to cope? Anyone have any experience of having to express when block feeding. Would again be grateful of any advice. May also post same thing on "too much milk" forum incase anyone different viewing. Thanks everyone!
    Can she cope with your flow when she's asleep? Mine can for the most part. That's mostly what I've resorted to. Feeding her in her sleep. I still offer when she's alert, but mine won't even latch and scream. She just arches and fusses. So I let her suck my finger or her thumb to calm her and she falls asleep and then I nurse her in her sleep.

    This. is. so. exhausting. I feel your pain. And the block feeding somehow made things worse for us. Someone else said it does make it worse before it makes it better. I considered peppermint because that's supposed to help dry some milk up.
    Last edited by @llli*midwestmama2010; April 4th, 2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: to fix my quoting goof

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

    She copes better in her sleep but won't always take much so I am left engorged! However she will only fall asleep nursing but It takes about 2hrs of constant battle with her taking a suck or two then screaming and pulling off, for flow to slow down enough, if I take her off, she then wakes up.she often chokes whilst asleep latched on. I have tried sage, cabbage leaves and pseudo ephedrine and nothing helps to reduce supply. If it is any consolation, same problems with DD1 improved a bit at 7 months. Seems like a lifetime! Just don't know what to do till then. I'm sorry that you are having the same problems, I cry when I read your posts because it is so close to heart! I will post a link to a medical paper which is worth reading re outcome of OS/OALD and the results it has at different stages, it might give you some hope if you haven't come across it already.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jah73 View Post
    She copes better in her sleep but won't always take much so I am left engorged! However she will only fall asleep nursing but It takes about 2hrs of constant battle with her taking a suck or two then screaming and pulling off, for flow to slow down enough, if I take her off, she then wakes up.she often chokes whilst asleep latched on. I have tried sage, cabbage leaves and pseudo ephedrine and nothing helps to reduce supply. If it is any consolation, same problems with DD1 improved a bit at 7 months. Seems like a lifetime! Just don't know what to do till then. I'm sorry that you are having the same problems, I cry when I read your posts because it is so close to heart! I will post a link to a medical paper which is worth reading re outcome of OS/OALD and the results it has at different stages, it might give you some hope if you haven't come across it already.
    I wonder if you expressed until your milk letsdown and then let it spray, spray, spray (does it ever stop spraying?) until it was just dripping fast, and then latched her? Do you letdown if something even bumps your boob? I do. My seatbelt in the car makes my milk letdown.

    You could try that at night. When she's not bobbing around acting starving. I say that because I know ppl always say pump until your milk stops spraying and then latch baby, but I know in reality that's really difficult to coordinate with a hungry bobbing baby.

    If you did that, in theory, she'd get less foremilk spraying and more hindmilk dripping. That could offset all the foremilk feedings she gets through the day. And might do some for her weight since you said you have to do all those little popping off mini-feedings to keep her gaining well.

    I'm interested in reading the article!

  5. #25

    Default Re: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

    Is there a side that she does better on? Maybe someone will chime in, but what if you only offered that side and only pumped to not be engorged on the other side. Like tried to get your supply under control one boob at a time?? In theory, she would get more hindmilk that way too.

    This might be crazy tho. Hopefully someone will say so if it is.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    21,131

    Default Re: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*midwestmama2010 View Post
    Is there a side that she does better on? Maybe someone will chime in, but what if you only offered that side and only pumped to not be engorged on the other side. Like tried to get your supply under control one boob at a time?? In theory, she would get more hindmilk that way too.

    This might be crazy tho. Hopefully someone will say so if it is.
    That's actually a really interesting idea! I think it might work. You just pick a breast and nurse, nurse, nurse on that side. The other side you pump/hand express whenever the discomfort becomes too extreme, and you take out just the minimum necessary to restore comfort.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

  7. #27

    Default Re: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    That's actually a really interesting idea! I think it might work. You just pick a breast and nurse, nurse, nurse on that side. The other side you pump/hand express whenever the discomfort becomes too extreme, and you take out just the minimum necessary to restore comfort.
    yay!! not crazy then!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    216

    Default Re: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

    There is a ton of great advice here, but I thought I would just add that I feel your pain. In trying to get my supply to even out, I ended up spending a whole day feeding her on one side. I picked the side that she seemed to prefer and the other side was giant by the end of the day. I only hand expressed a tiny amount when the pain got bad plus all of the leaking it did on it's own. I still have times when I'm crazy overfull and my OS / OALD isn't gone, but she can handle it now. I wish you the best of luck!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

    Thanks everyone for your ideas. M11612, so did you do 24 hrs on one side and then swap and do the other side? How did you get your baby to cope when you swapped as you must have been bursting? How long did you have to do that for to see results? How old was your baby when they learnt to handle it? Sorry for all of the questions but, as you can prob tell, I'm getting desperate! Carrying on with the block feeding today and will think about what to do next. Helps to hear from people who have been there and come through it.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,440

    Default Re: Milk flow too fast for baby to feed

    I tend to have a pretty severe OS. I had to pump for my fourth baby, and I was producing 50-70 oz a day.

    I recall doing what you are talking about doing for my first baby, dimly. I remember not nursing on one side all day. I never hand expressed or pumped, and when it was time to switch, I got the letdown going, let it spray into a towel (and it was probably like 8 oz, knowing what I know now) and then latched him on when it was slower and not just flying out.

    My other babies coped with it better.

    What about side laying or reclining nursing? I found nursing laying down helped my babies cope better too. They let the excess dribble out.

    Good news is that most babies grow into it and prefer it. Bad news....it can take months to control. be persistent and just keep on trucking.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •