Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What bottle is best for a breastfed baby on strike

Default What bottle is best for a breastfed baby on strike

Hi, I'm having problems. See my umpteen posts.

I have one bottle and one nipple in my house. It's a Playtex Drop in and newborn nipple. My baby is 4 months old. She mostly just plays with it. Every once in a while she latches right on to it and sucks and maybe gets an ounce.

Is there any other bottle you ladies would recommend? I know to stay with a newborn nipple.

I'm headed to the baby store this afternoon. My baby hasn't nursed or had anything to eat since 6 AM this morning. It's 1:15 PM now.

Thanks!

Default Re: What bottle is best for a breastfed baby on strike

I emailed a professor in Australia who studies lactation re the problems I am having getting my baby to feed. He said that if you want to get baby back to the breast, you should ONLY use the Medela supplementary feeding system,it is a bottle which requires baby to use same technique as breastfeeding. The reflux may be adding to the refusal,try colic calm, so far, my baby has been constantly feeding since I started using it 2 days ago (was refusing before that) and has put on 5oz in 2 days. I give about quarter of a dose before each feed, although didn't give it at every feed today as there were so many! I know how hard it is, hope it improves for you very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jah73 View Post
    I emailed a professor in Australia who studies lactation re the problems I am having getting my baby to feed. He said that if you want to get baby back to the breast, you should ONLY use the Medela supplementary feeding system,it is a bottle which requires baby to use same technique as breastfeeding. The reflux may be adding to the refusal,try colic calm, so far, my baby has been constantly feeding since I started using it 2 days ago (was refusing before that) and has put on 5oz in 2 days. I give about quarter of a dose before each feed, although didn't give it at every feed today as there were so many! I know how hard it is, hope it improves for you very soon!
    Are you saying an SNS? Or an actual bottle. My baby arches away if I even get her in the nursing position. I don't think I could get her to my breast. Except in her sleep, and then she nurses just fine.

I'm going to try a Medela bottle. I have never bought bottles before so I had no idea what to get. I went to the store and picked Medela bottles.

My baby has been refusing the breast for 2 months now.

I hate to say it but every baby is different. Do you have any friends that could loan you a bottle or two? Just for testers. Then you can buy whichever works. Both of my children preferred Avent but I hear lots of babies that reject those. You could also try a Nuby cup. That's what worked on mine once they were older. Maybe it's different enough to work.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

There isn't really a "best" bottle/nipple as each baby has different preferences. The general consensus is to stick with a slow flow or newborn nipple and look for one that resembles the shape of a breast. A more rounded shape on the base of the nipple is more likely to resemble nursing
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    You could also try a Nuby cup. That's what worked on mine once they were older. Maybe it's different enough to work.
    What age were yours? Mine is 4 months.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*midwestmama2010 View Post
    Are you saying an SNS? Or an actual bottle. My baby arches away if I even get her in the nursing position. I don't think I could get her to my breast. Except in her sleep, and then she nurses just fine.

I'm going to try a Medela bottle. I have never bought bottles before so I had no idea what to get. I went to the store and picked Medela bottles.

My baby has been refusing the breast for 2 months now.
    I think the PP is referring to medela calma bottles. The baby has to really work to get the milk with this system so he doesn t get used to a fast flow, plus the nipple is long and the tip lands where it is supposed to (area between hard and soft palate). I personnaly use them and they seem fine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*midwestmama2010 View Post
    What age were yours? Mine is 4 months.
    Different times. But the Avent was younger than 4 months. With my daughter we tried the Nuby cups at 6 months because she refused bottles. My son had a strike at 9 months where he would only use the cup.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Well, the Medela Breastmilk ones are a no-go. She just chews on the nipple and attempts to put her thumb in there at the same time. She did nurse twice in between there. Once in her sleep, and once as she was falling asleep. It's almost nighttime. So thankful...

I keep seeing the Avent one come up on other websites. Does anyone have experience with those?