Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk production and menstrual period

Default milk production and menstrual period

Hi everyone,

I hope it is appropriate to post in this section, and I apologize if I am making a mistake.

My baby girl is 3.5 months old and fully breastfed since she was born. We never had any problems and she gained on average 250 grams per week. She eats every 3/4 hours even at night, I carry her around with a sling most of the time, we co-sleep, and I am not giving her any other food beside my milk. So why this morning I got my period? I am not worried of having my period, but I am afraid that this will diminish my milk supply. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Default Re: milk production and menstrual period

It's not uncommon to get your period back relatively soon after birth. It may cause a short-term dip in supply, but as long as you nurse on demand and do not start supplementing with formula, your supply will quickly rebound. Remember, supply equals demand, so if you allow baby to demand as much as she wants, your supply will respond to match it.

At this point it's really important to start using some form of contraception, if you're not already.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

There are some moms who get it back despite cosleeping, night nursing, no bottles, no pacifiers, no pumping, nursing every 1-3 hours around the clock, etc. and then there are those who don't get it back until their child weans. While the average is 15.5 months, it's just an average.

It can impact your supply, but nurse through it. Some pumping moms report a calcium/magnesium supplement helps.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

With my first two AF came back pretty early (4 months for DD, 3 months for DS1). For this one it was 9 months. I noticed a dip in supply with pumping but he didn't seem to be affected when he was nursing.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

it's perfectly normal (if a bit frustrating) to get your period back this soon, and should not adversely affect breastfeeding. Any supply dip around ovulation and/or your period should be temprary, just nurse lots.

Thank you for your answers, I feel less of a white fly, now!

In the lasts days I noticed that my baby was asking for more food around bed time and 'using' me as a pacifier, something she stopped doing when she was 4 weeks. I guess she is helping me producing the milk she needs. I will go and weigh her and see if she has grown well in the last two weeks; though, I feel that she is doing fine, mostly because every changed nappy is soaked wet.

I have to say I am more worried about the psychological aspect. Somehow it does not feel right to be back to 'normal'--it feels like my body has abruptly and too early decided to severe the special bond with my baby.

As for contraception: Funny enough, I went last week to the doctor to plan an IUD, and we just plan the insertion in a random day since I hadn't had my period yet, and few days later, here it comes!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mct View Post
    In the lasts days I noticed that my baby was asking for more food... I guess she is helping me producing the milk she needs.
    Exactly! Keep on allowing her to increase your supply by increasing demand, and everything will be fine.

I have to say I am more worried about the psychological aspect. Somehow it does not feel right to be back to 'normal'--it feels like my body has abruptly and too early decided to severe the special bond with my baby.
    It must be really annoying to have your cycle back so soon. But don't let it sever your bond with your baby. Lots of moms get their cycles back and just keep on nursing. Mine has been back for close to a year and my toddler continues to be very bonded to the breast.

As for contraception: Funny enough, I went last week to the doctor to plan an IUD, and we just plan the insertion in a random day since I hadn't had my period yet, and few days later, here it comes!
    Which IUD do you plan on getting? If you intend to use Mirena, the IUD with the hormonal component, you may want to consider a different method of birth control. Some women find that Mirena negatively impacts their supply, and if it does, you can't just stop taking it. You have to wait to get an appointment to have it removed. If you like the idea of hormonal contraception, you might want to try the mini-pill- it can also negatively impact supply but it's immediately reversible if you just stop taking it. If you like the idea of an IUD, there is a non-hormonal option called ParaGard.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Which IUD do you plan on getting? If you intend to use Mirena, the IUD with the hormonal component, you may want to consider a different method of birth control. Some women find that Mirena negatively impacts their supply, and if it does, you can't just stop taking it. You have to wait to get an appointment to have it removed. If you like the idea of hormonal contraception, you might want to try the mini-pill- it can also negatively impact supply but it's immediately reversible if you just stop taking it. If you like the idea of an IUD, there is a non-hormonal option called ParaGard.
    Thanks for your support! I will fight this annoying feeling about my period--I remember to have had the same 'I am not ready' sensation for my first menstruation, but since then many years have passed and I should be used to it by now :-)

As for the IUD, I decided for the non-hormonal one (I have never liked to play with my hormonal system). I have just moved to the Netherlands, and I do not know which brand they have here. I have got a prescription for a 'copper spiral'. I'll buy it today and if you are interested in knowing the brand, I could let you know.

If it's copper, then it's probably either the same thing as ParaGard or very similar. Good choice!