Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting the baby to take a bottle?

Default getting the baby to take a bottle?

Apologies if I'm re-posting a well-answered question--I don't have a whole lot of time to browse the boards right now.

I have a one month old who is breastfeeding (tolerably) well, but has screaming fits when we try to give her a bottle (we've been trying since she was about three weeks old--so about a week). I have no problem feeding her at the breast 90% of the time, but need her to take a bottle so I can go see The Hunger Games! No, more seriously, she needs to take it because I'm going back to work in another month...and I know there's a window past which babies will often refuse the bottle altogether.

Can anyone point me to some tips for getting her to take a bottle?

Thanks!
    Christina

Default Re: getting the baby to take a bottle?

First I would say that you can't be there. At all. Not even in another room. If your baby knows you are there she will want it straight from the tap. The other thing is bottle varieties. Seems most babies have a bottle preference, which usually means trying a bunch of different ones before finding the one your baby will use. And one last thing, whoever gives the bottle probably shouldn't try to mimic mama but find their own way of feeding. Hope that helps! It seems frustrating but I've never heard of a baby refusing forever. It may just take some time.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Default Re: getting the baby to take a bottle?

If breastfeeding is only going tolerably well I would suggest not pushing bottles for the moment. It is a myth that there is some one size fits all window of opportunity to give bottles, some babies have a hard time taking them no matter when they are introduced and some do not. On the other hand, I have never heard of a mom who had to quit her job because her baby never took the bottle, kwim? It works itself out.

Bottles can cause issues, so typically moms want to get breastfeeding off to as excellent a start as possible before worrying about pumping or bottles. Yes introduce bottles before you go back to work but it need not be this early.

You can go see The Hunger Games. Unless you live really far away from the movie theater that would be a relatively short separation. In a pinch milk can be given via cup, spoon or syringe if baby refuses the bottle while you are gone.

This is a way to give bottles that lets baby manage the flow themselves, more like they do when nursing. This may help a baby who is reluctant to take a bottle and will certianly be helpful for many reasons when you are back at work and baby is getting regular bottles. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

and here is info on bottle alternatives: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/bre...atives-bottles

and a cup feeding video is on this page. Please note it shows the mom with her breasts exposed: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=13