Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn slow weight gain, poo is yellow but not seedy???

Default Newborn slow weight gain, poo is yellow but not seedy???

My LO is one week old. Since she was born she has pooed, alot! Her first 24 hrs she pooed 8 times, and hasn't slowed down since. Now I am not complaining, but she is
    not gaining her birth weight back like my other 2 did, and it is worrying me. She
    latches and eats well, wets well, and of course poos enough, so I am sure she is
    getting plenty, but another thing I noticed was that the other two had the classic
    seedy yellow poo.... hers is yellow like expected, but not at all seedy. Should I be
    concerned about it? I know that some breastfed infants can take as long as 2 weeks to gain back their birth weight, but with as much as she poos and eats, I am lil
    concerned their is something wrong with my milk. Both of my other 2 children did not have problems gaining their birth weight back, so her slow gain is worrying me....
    anywho should I worry, or is this just my daughter and leave it alone.

P.S. She is only 2 ounces away from her birth weight at 8 days old, so I feel a lil silly worrying

11/22/2006 - My Pro Athlete - Son

11/13/2008 - Mommy's Superhero - Son

03/15/2012 - What I didn't know I was missing, my baby girl

Default Re: Newborn slow weight gain, poo is yellow but not seedy???

2 oz from birthweight at 8 days old, and tons of yellow poops? Stop worrying, mama! There's nothing wrong with your milk.

Is baby a bit sleepy or jaundiced? Sometimes that can make for a slow start- not that your LO is having one. Seriously, she sounds fine!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My daughter still has poo like this and she is 7weeks old, i hope its just her normal. She also pooped 5 times in the first 24 hrs. Weight gain has been pretty good. I would like to know also if no seeds mean anything?

Dr. Jay Gordon describes "normal" breastmilk (after the first several days of transitioning) poop like this: "Light yellow to bright green, loose/runny, curdy, lumpy, seedy, creamy, mustard-like These are normal breastfed stools. The consistency, frequency and color vary from day to day. My wife described the smell as “curried yogurt”. Opinions on this odor description differ widely."
    In my years as a LLL Leader I have seen my share of baby poop and none of it looks exacly alike. How MUCH baby is pooping is much more important, from a "is baby getting enough" standpoint, than what it looks like, imo. Lots of poops are good!

Weight gain in op sounds fine. All kids gain differently, try not to compare to your older kids too much! I have one super skinny kid and one more hefty little guy, both are perfect and healthy but if I compared them only to each other, I would think one was malnouished or the other overweight.

The rule of thumb for healthy weight gain is baby back to birth weight by 10-14 days after birth. And some babies take even longer to regain up to birth weight and it is fine. If you know your babies LOWEST wieght, gage weight gain from that, not birth weight.

Thanks... I thought I was being a little over the top worrying so much, but I wanted to make sure.

11/22/2006 - My Pro Athlete - Son

11/13/2008 - Mommy's Superhero - Son

03/15/2012 - What I didn't know I was missing, my baby girl

I am having a similar problem except that his poo is yellow and seedy but his weight gain is very very slow. He wasn't back to his birth weight until he was a month old and at 2 1/2 months is only 9 lbs... It's very frustrating to hear your son is so tiny when he's constantly eating.... Now I read a thread that had a link to an article about hindmilk and foremilk.... How long should feelings last? I feel like my LO doesn't eat long and snacks all day... At night he eats anywhere from 4-6 hours apart but during the day it is between 2-3 hours sometimes less. So I completely understand your concern! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*learningbytrial View Post
    I am having a similar problem except that his poo is yellow and seedy but his weight gain is very very slow. He wasn't back to his birth weight until he was a month old and at 2 1/2 months is only 9 lbs... It's very frustrating to hear your son is so tiny when he's constantly eating.... Now I read a thread that had a link to an article about hindmilk and foremilk.... How long should feelings last? I feel like my LO doesn't eat long and snacks all day... At night he eats anywhere from 4-6 hours apart but during the day it is between 2-3 hours sometimes less. So I completely understand your concern! :-)
    Mama, I suggest posting your own thread so that you get more responses.

To answer your question- feeding length should be regulated by the baby. Baby should be allowed to finish the first breast at his/her own pace, and then be moved to the second breast, again for unlimited time. There is nothing wrong with "snacking". Many breastfed babies prefer a feeding pattern of multiple small meals as opposed to infrequent large ones. Frequent feeding is excellent for improving weight gain and increasing milk supply. Many breastfed babies feed every 1-2 hours throughout the day and sometimes the night as well. If you're having issues with him gaining enough, I suggest nursing him every 1-2 hours during the day and waking him an extra time or two at night.

How is nursing going aside from the issue you're having with baby's weight? Are you in paint all when he nurses? Does baby ever seem to be uncomfortable? What are his poops like?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"