Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis

Default Mastitis

Last night I decided to work on night weaning. My baby didn't nurse from midnight to 6am. When I got up this morning I noticed what I thought was a plugged duct. I started having chills about an hour later and after two hours I was running a fever of 102. The baby wouldn't really nurse on that side and when he unlatched I noticed a thick, yellow-green discharge from one nipple pore. I am assuming that this was pus. I squeezed as much of it out as I could several times and it was a LOT.

My questions are this:
    1. Is it okay to nurse the baby on that side even though it is leaking pus?
    2. Does mastitis really come on this sudden or did I just not notice something?
    3. How long do I wait before I get an antibiotic? I don't want to get an abscess!

Thanks so much in advance!
    Proud mom of two boys!

DS1- born 1/10/03
    and
    DS2- born 3/8/11

Default Re: Mastitis

1. Yes. But don't be surprised if baby doesn't want to nurse- the milk on that side may not taste all that pleasant.

2. Mastitis can come on very suddenly- I just had that experience. Less than 24 hours between first noticing a plugged duct and seeing red streaks.

3. You can probably go indefinitely without getting an antibiotic as long as you feel that things are trending towards getting better and not worse. But honestly if you have pus-y discharge and a fever and chills, I think it makes sense to at least see the doc and get a scrip for antibiotics, because that sounds pretty bad. You don't necessarily have to take the abx if you feel like you're getting better, but if you suddenly start to feel worse you want to have something in hand, and not have to wait for an appointment and then wait for the pharmacy to be open...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Mastitis

Thanks mommal.. you always have great advice

I went to the doctor today and he prescribed Keflex. He also told me that I must wean IMMEDIATELY, that the medicine could harm the baby and that nursing with mastitis could make him sick. He said to bind my breasts tightly with an Ace bandage until my milk dried up. I just nodded, haha. I don't even know where they get this stuff. I am just thankful he prescribed an antibiotic that is normally used for mastitis. On the bottle it even said the dosage followed by (Avoid Breastfeeding) and when I asked the pharmacist about it she said it was on the doctor's fax and it was fine for breastfeeding. I like the doctor otherwise, he isn't very up to date on his bf info though

I feel better today and the pus leakage has stopped. The entire top portion of my breast is swollen, very red, and hot but hopefully that will clear up with time.
    Proud mom of two boys!

DS1- born 1/10/03
    and
    DS2- born 3/8/11