Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Single side feeding and managing outings

Question Single side feeding and managing outings

My baby is almost 5 months old, I have suffered from OS and OALD sice day 1. Having tried many things without success, I finally started taking pseudo ephedrine 5 days ago and my supply seems to have calmed down slightly. I have stopped block feeding as this technique seemed to be counter productive for me and actually made things worse. I am single side feeding (which I suppose is a type of block feeding) and it seems to have better results than staying on 1 side for extended blocks of time. My baby can now at least seem to cope with my milk flow but she seems to get reflux quite early on in the feed, she does not vomit but cries in pain and struggles to continue nursing. During the day,she only seems to be able to sleep whilst nursing, I think that because of the reflux, she feels less discomfort when she is sucking. I don't want to use a pacifier as she often refuses the breast and I think it will add to the refusal. Sometimes she will go up to 3 hours between feeds (longer at night) but other times, she wants to nurse again within an hour. I am unable to tell whether she is hungry or wants to nurse to sleep, either way, when she does nurse, because of my OS and OALD, she gets quite a lot of milk. I am unsure of whether it is better to always alternate sides at each feed even if there has only been a short time since she last nursed, or whether, for example, I should put her back on the same side within say an hour? I obviously want to ensure that she is getting the hind milk but don't want to leave one side not fed on for too long or else it fills up loads and she struggles with the flow when she does feed on it and also then gets loads of foremilk. However i don't want to overstimulate my breasts and increase my supply further. Not sure what is best, swapping at next feed despite of how long ago she fed or putting her back on the same side if it has only neen a short while. Sometimes she nurses for only a couple of minutes, and sometimes, if she wants to sleep she nurses for an hour or so, I find it very difficult to know when she will next feed so find it very difficult to go anywhere. How do I plan say a doctors or dental appointment or go on a car journey? I would love to hear from anyone with some advice on single side feeding, and also on how you manage getting out for appointments etc when Breadtfeeding. Thanks

Default Re: Single side feeding and managing outings

Single side feeding is a type of block feeding. When you're doing single side feeding, it can be hard to know when to switch- is an hour too short a time, or too long? How about 45 minutes? I think it's one of those things where you shouldn't get too hung up on getting it right. You don't need to be perfect every time in order for block feeding to work. For me, personally, I'd offer the same side if the last feeding was less than an hour before, and see how it goes.

It's very normal for babies to feed at irregular intervals, and that can be challenging when you're trying to schedule appointments and things like that. When my kids were young, I either took them with me to appointments or made sure my husband came with me. It doesn't take that long to get your hair cut or see a doc, and if you nurse the baby right before your appointment and then your husband or mom or your babysitter takes the baby for a walk, you're unlikely to be interrupted. Most babies are less demanding of the breast when in public- there's so much interesting stuff to see! But if baby does need to nurse, then you just nurse in the chair or in the office. Car journeys are kind of the same- nurse before you leave, hope for the best, and if your baby needs to nurse, pull over and nurse her. Have you tried nursing in public (NIP) yet? It can be challenging with OALD- my LO once pulled off the breast and milk went squirting everywhere just as the rabbi of our temple walked by, ! But there are ways to NIP discreetly, even with OALD, and we can give you tips if you're interested.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A cousin of mine found that her OALD was stronger in one breast than the other and would only offer the weaker on in public.
    I agree with mommal. It isn't and exact science, it's hard to know. Just go with your gut.

I NIP often without the coverup that I got at my shower, but I use it if I'm particularly full. That way if I squirt it is caught by the cover up rather than someone else. Once I accidentially squirted a friend of mine who had come close to hand me a drink. Oops

Thanks for the responses so far. So Mommal do you mean that if you had an appointment at say 1pm and your baby fed at 11.30am, you would still offer your baby the breast before you left the house 45mins later? My baby will only feed when it suits her and feeding in public is almost impossible because of the screaming and pulling off. Do any of you ladies have any idea when your babies are going to feed or do you just offer before you go anywhere?

I offer before we leave, but like yours mine will only nurse if he feels like it so he sometimes refuses. When my OALD was really bad I usually nursed in a carrier when we were out (the Ergo is my favorite by far, but I've used a sling, Moby - least favorite, but it works, etc.). Walking while nursing has kept my baby content enough to stay latched and the positioning in the carrier usually contains any spray when he has popped off at the wrong time.

Yep, I'd offer right before I left. And honestly, with a 5 month old, I'd make sure that the baby came with me wherever I went. If baby gets hungry halfway through your haircut, and then you take 20 minutes to drive home... That's going to be a lot of screaming. And i totally get why it's hard for you to nurse in public, but you can always go nurse in the car.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yup yup.

I have a 6 month old, I've never went any where with out him.

I once thought I would shop at Walmart alone, when DD1 was about 9 months old, DH had to go home which was only about a 20 minute round trip thing. (from time he dropped me off till being back with me again. And my husband said NEVER again! lol So we never did that again, and don't with DS now either.

I just had my hair cut today. I fed DS right before I went in. (I offered, he ate very little cause apparently he wasn't hungry, but unless they are full to the gills I find most babies when offered will at least top themselves off-eat enough to fill up, maybe not much but even a little bit can buy you some time!). My DH walked around the store with DS while I was getting my hair cut, I thought surely he would be starving since he didn't eat much and nope didn't eat much when I was done, we then went to dinner by the end of dinner he was starving. But, because he was so keyed up by a day out all day, and being overstimulated by it all, even though I am a avid NIP by around 5 months and on to 8 or 9, or even 12 months, I find we have to go to the car to get any serious meals in. Otherwise, they are just too distracted by the world around them, and at the same time hungry so will just cry, and only take a few sucks then pull off, and cry and look around, etc etc, and round and round we go never getting in a meal that is satisfying for LO till we just go to the car and get it done with! So I ended up just going to the car near the end of the meal and let DH and both DDs stay and finish their meals in peace! lol And we had our little peace in the car.

I find NIP freeing and with ease a lot of times. But, I also find my alone time in the car with my LOs is nice too!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Question Re: Single side feeding and managing outings

Thanks for all of your advice and for sharing your experiences. I tried offering before we went out yesterday, but she refused, I did however manage to nurse her in the car, however it is difficult as she has taken to, once she gets through the spurting with a lot of screaming and pulling off, wanting to comfort at the breast, this is usually for about an hour. Nursing in the car for this long is difficult as i also have a 2yr old. I am reluctant to take her off as I want her to have a good experience at the breast and also she continues to get let downs and feed through them, so I figure I need to let her get the hind milk as I am usually so full at the beginning! Any thoughts? Also, when you ladies offer a top up before going out, do you offer the full breast or the empty one? Not sure that my baby would cope with loads of spurting milk if she wasn't really hungry but if I offer the emptier one and it bides me some time, it means that the fuller one has to go longer until being fed on, so it will be really full, which she will struggle to cope with. Just wish it was easy!

For me the comfort nursing has a lot to do with the time of day. What time was it? Most babies really like to comfort nurse in the evenings. Any time after 7 or 8 for my kids, have meant more comfort nursing, then during the day.

As far as wanting them to get more hind milk, I guess it just depends. Depends on the day, and what is more important to you that day particularly. I really needed my hair cut the other day, so while I wouldn't put my hair above my child's needs...I just did it. At the same time, if he had been upset and crying etc, I probably would of stopped the hair cut and went and fed him. However, if he had just been comfort nursing and I needed to get on with the hair cut, and taking him off wasn't going to make him cry, I would of just done it. At the same time, I let my LOs comfort nurse I would say 99% of the time, when they want to. Truth be told I don't do a whole lot outside the home, that isn't compatible with nursing/caring for my LO's.

Maybe this is just a thing of knowing, pretty much your life doesn't go back to how it was before children. lol haha

As far as which one to offer. I think that's pretty personal from person to person. For most LOs they have a preference. In other words, most babies like one side more then the other. So for me, instead of fighting them to take the one they don't like as much, when I am in a hurry and just what them to top up, I go ahead and offer the one they like most so they will more eagerly take it. And most likely that is also the one they last took, as I always try to start with offering the side they don't care for first, and at least get them to take it for a few seconds/minutes, before switching to the one they like most.

As far as it being a long time before they take the other, not that much time difference really. I pretty much don't try to let it go much more if any more then normal between feedings. But, we aren't really scheduled or anything so I'm not positive of the exact time. I do know when out I get more full often, just cause like I said they get more distracted, they will go a bit longer.

As for your other child, truth be told I don't remember the last time I went any where by myself with the kids. I usually don't. I go with mostly my husband, on occasion though my parents, or my sisters. They take on the other children while I nurse the "baby". Otherwise, I make the car kind of fun. We have special pillows, special toys, special music, etc we do only in the car. My children, LOVE to listen to music and dance in the car.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~