Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long is milk good for once warmed?

Default How long is milk good for once warmed?

I'm confused on how long my milk is good for once it is warmed? I am currently having a HORRIBLE time trying to get my 4mo old to drink out of a bottle, she flat out refuses!!! I am working every day trying to get her to take some of my milk from a bottle so she can eat when I go back to work in 3 weeks. I cannot find anything that says how lonh it is good for once it is warmed and the nipple touches her mouth. I don't want to waste any precious milk if it can sit out for awhile and maybe rewarmed.
    Any help would be great!

thanks

Default Re: How long is milk good for once warmed?

I would use it as much as two hours later... but I wouldn't warm up much at a time. What kind of bottles are you using? Has anyone else offered her the bottle, or just you?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My husband trys every night, as well as me. I left my lo with mother-in-law and she screamed the whole time I was gone except for when she fell asleep from being exhausted from crying, but just to wake up crying again...poor baby! I have tried Tommee tippee (these are what she took in the begining) new simalac bottle, playtex nurser drop-ins, plaxtex vent air, thats it.

Worried mommy right now, worried that she'll just cry and cry when I'm at work

nothing seems to work yet..

thought about cutting the end of a nipple off and placing it over mine< just to get her used to smell of the latex, or silacone?? just a thought..

They make nipple shields that are silicone and would fit over your nipple, but I don't know if I would go to all that trouble.

How long will you be at work? Has anyone tried feeding her from the bottle while walking around outside?
    Tracie

Mommy to

don't worry mama! it will all work out. when you are away from her, she will almost certainly take the bottle. and almost certainly it'll be easier for someone else to give it to her - sometimes babies even know when you're in the house vs actually away. the transition will take some getting used to, for both of you, but you can do it. and she will be ok. at 4 months she might be able to take from a cup, too, if she's really refusing the bottles.

i don't know about the cutting the nipple off ... seems like that would be more likely to lead to problems with her latch, than to actually help out with the bottle problem.

good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I will be gone 10hrs a day this includes drive time and I work half an hour away, plus I have a toddler too so the caregiver/s loading both them up to bring her to me is out of the question.....I'll tell my husband to try walking around w/her outside to see if that works,hopefully, have read some stories that lo wll go all day without eating and will be misrable all day, but will make up for not eating during the day and will nurse all night long... I'm ok with nursing her all night, more worried about her being misrable all day and crying and crying and people not being able to handle her crying. My ped said that they always take a bottle and not to worry it might take awhile and might be VERY stressfull on everyone, that she wouldnt strave herself, I have just been trying and trying everything to get her to take a bottle. Its like she jsut decided, NOPE, I don't want a bottle, its not my mommy, its plastic, cold and smells weird, who could blame her right...

I am going to see if my sister inlaw will come over and would be willing to handle her crying and crying ... I don't really have any support from anyone, it makes me sad, no one can handle her crying and they all just say nurse her, which would be fine if I wasn't a working mommy. I have created a breastfeeding monster..hahah, shes stubborn just like me

thanks for the tips, it really helps me to see that someone cares,
    THANKS!

Thanks for the encouragement, I do apprecieate it.
    Ya cutting the nipple seems a little extreme prob would lead to some latch probs too, I have a tommee tippee sippy cup for a 4mo old, I will try that tonite w/ husband, I'll go for a walk or something while he gives it to her.... she might just take it... THANKS

My first daughter hated bottles. I went back to work when she was 4 months old. She would cry every time my babysitter, M, would give her the bottle. M used a tiny cup for a day or so to pour milk into Lilah's mouth. I was out of my mind with worry about it, but she nursed all night long and I comforted myself with the thought that some babies sleep 12 hours in a row (not either one of mine), so she would be ok if she refused the bottle for the 10.5 hours we were separated. After about a month, she finally started drinking just enough to get by.

One thing you might check for is excess lipase in your milk. I think now that that was a big part of Lilah's bottle problem. If you put an ounce of milk in the fridge and taste test it every 8 hours or so for a couple days, it should still taste sweet. Mine would start to taste like vomit after about 24ish hours.
    Tracie

Mommy to

My first thought was lipase too
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Never thought about that... I will try my milk.....how do you fix it??? I heard to scald it in micro ....
    Sis in law is comming over tomorrow to see if she can give her a bottle... so we'll see... hope for success I'm gonna leave and go for a walk