Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: glucosamine/chondroitin

Default glucosamine/chondroitin

I suffered some pretty severe joint trauma during a recent injury. Fortunately my recovery has gone exceptionally well, and I've gotten back to a pretty highly active lifestyle. However I do have varying degrees pain throughout the day. I'd like to try glucosamine/chondroitin in addition to my exercises to see if it helps improve joint function and pain, but there doesn't appear to be any available data on the safety of either glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate during breastfeeding.

I'm curious to know if anyone here knows anything about glucosamine/chondroitin or has taken it while breastfeeding. I would like to continue nursing my now 16 month old for as long as he wants to nurse, but I would also like to explore all possible avenues for improving my joint function so that I can continue to do all of the activities my little guy and I like to do throughout the day.

Default Re: glucosamine/chondroitin

Everything I've read about that supplement in running magazines says it's probably a waste of money. I don't know that it would hurt your little guy but I think there are probably more proven ways to help your join pain. Have you seen a physical therapist?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Interesting. I've heard good things from my mom and read results from a couple trials, but I don't know anyone else who has tried it. I have some NSAIDs and narcotics for pain, but I don't really take them. For now at least, massage and stretches are more effective than medications. I'm more interested in anything that has potential to improve the condition of the joint rather than just treat the pain, as I've been able to keep that under control without drugs.

The initial injury to the joint was extremely severe and I had months of surgeries followed by months of rehab. I got to the point where my therapist told me there wasn't anything more that she could do for me a couple months age, and now I'm just doing a home program for building strength.

Honestly, I'm doing far better than my orthopedic surgeon and his team ever expected; so it's very likely that my improvement has plateaued. I'm just trying to make sure that I'm doing everything possible to benefit he joint now to help delay impending deterioration as long as possible.

Thanks for your reply! We're getting out more as the weather improves and I'm putting more stress on the joint, but so far it's holding up pretty well. Taking what you've said into consideration, perhaps it's best to see how it goes and continue with my current program for as long as it works.

Can you swim? I know that's not really something to improve it but it is good exercise. I would maybe just see how it goes, back off if you get more pain and experiment with different types of lower impact exercises. I know with the nicer weather it's easy for any athlete to get an injury after probably working out less during the winter (at least I fall into that almost every spring).

I'll send you pdfs of Hale's entries on them. Neither is particularly alarming, though glucosamine comes with a drug interaction warning -- "Do not use with warfarin, as INR levels may double." I have no idea what that means!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    I'll send you pdfs of Hale's entries on them. Neither is particularly alarming, though glucosamine comes with a drug interaction warning -- "Do not use with warfarin, as INR levels may double." I have no idea what that means!
    It means if you're taking warfarin you have a higher chance of bleeding (warfarin is a blood thinner).

Ah. Thank you. Yes, that definitely sounds like something to avoid!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    Can you swim? I know that's not really something to improve it but it is good exercise. I would maybe just see how it goes, back off if you get more pain and experiment with different types of lower impact exercises. I know with the nicer weather it's easy for any athlete to get an injury after probably working out less during the winter (at least I fall into that almost every spring).
    I LOVE swimming. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a pool nearby (well, I do, but it is insanely expensive). Although now that I think about it, there may be a YMCA downtown that isn't too far. I'll look into it...

I think I'll focus on getting more cartilage-friendly foods into my diet rather than supplements for now. Glucosamine and chondroitin are naturally occurring components of connective tissue; so theoretically my body should be able to produce these and other molecules necessary for joint repair via normal cellular biosynthetic pathways given the proper nutrients, right? I wish I paid more attention in biochem.

Thanks again for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Thank you so much! I'm only taking a multi-vitamin and some mineral supplements right now, so drug interactions shouldn't be a problem. I do have pain medications, but I don't take them. I jut have them here just in case the pain gets out of hand.

I think I might explore some other avenues for now, but it's nice to know this supplement is a possibility!