Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Self Weening?

Default Self Weening?

My son is almost 15 months old and will only nurse once a day. There has actually been days where I'll wake up the next morning and think," omgosh! He didn't nurse at all yesterday and I didn't even realize it!!" Sometimes he'll ask but most of the time, that one/two times, I'll offer. Otherwise, he's WAY too busy getting into everything to want to nurse. When he does nurse, he'll only nurse a few minutes[ from both sides because he just HAS to have both out at the same time to go back and forth ]. Should I just let this happen or should I try to offer it more [ though, he'll only do it for a minute ] or is this how it's supposed to happen?

I have to admit, it's pretty bittersweet. Little man is just way too busy for mama.

Also, I am 10 weeks pregnant so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not because he started this " ween " when I was only like 5 weeks pregnant. I'd feel awful if this was because of me!
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong

Default Re: Self Weening?

What you do in this situation is up to you. If you don't want to wean, just offer more often. Making nursing a nice cuddly time before bed or nap may help a busy toddler remember to get busy at the breast. If you are ready to wean, it sounds like your LO will let you do so without any struggle. Many toddlers do self-wean during pregnancy, often because pregnancy causes the milk to diminish or vanish. But don't feel bad if that is the case- it's a very natural way to wean and IMO the gift of a sibling is worth the price of weaning a bit earlier than a baby otherwise might have done.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I can't decide! Last night, I did offer it more but he just seemed to play around. I want to keep offering it because I feel like I want him to do it himself but he's NEVER ONE TIME turned me down...EVER. LOL! Even if he nurses for a few seconds [literallt and jumps off my lap- he'll ALWAYS take it. So, if he was done, done- would he just not take it oneday? Or am I prolonging something he's already trying to do [ weening ]?
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong

If your LO was done, done, DONE, then yes, one day you'd offer and he'd just keep playing with his toys. And you'd offer again later, and he'd keep playing with his toys. Eventually, maybe after afew days, maybe after a few weeks, you'd give up and stop offering. Don't worry about continuing to offer. The breastfeeding relationship is a dance between two partners, and sometimes mama leads and sometimes baby leads. Right now it sounds like you're leading but it could all switch around in a moment. And you are not delaying your LO's development in any way.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"