Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Desoximetasone Cream/Jerky Head Movements

Default Desoximetasone Cream/Jerky Head Movements

I really think (hope) I'm psyching myself out here, but I don't think I'll be able to sleep unless I ask about this, so here goes...

In late September I was prescribed Desoximetasone .25% (generic for Topicort) for dyshydrotic exzema (sp?) on the bottom of my foot. The dermatologist knew that I was breastfeeding & said he couldn't give me anything stronger because I was nursing (DD was almost 3 mos old at the time). He said it was ok to use 2X a day and/or intermittently as I needed to. So I assumed it was safe & didn't even think to check into it any further. I have been using it ever since, 1-2X a day (was weaning off of it but then the exzema came back so I had to up it again). I apply it to the ball of my left foot & always wash my hands afterward.

Over the last few weeks, we have noticed that DD does this odd head movement where she puts her chin to her chest and holds it there for a few seconds. She will sometimes also make a "keee" (happy) sound when she does it. She usually does this 2-3 times in a row (sometimes more). It happens randomly, some days more than others (somedays we don't see it at all), and seems to be mostly when she's excited or happy about something (sees a toy she wants, etc.). I am starting to worry that it's a seizure or something, although she seems totally fine otherwise. She's meeting her milestones fine, is a very happy & interactive baby - talks (a ton), laughs, plays, rolls, etc. Anyone else seen this in their LO? It seems like a mannerism that she's picked up or something (at least that's what I'm hoping).

Anyway, I just today started wondering if there was something I was eating, taking, doing, etc. that might be in my milk & affecting her, and I thought about that cream. I've been using it consistently for almost 6 months, and never thought to check and see if it was really ok. Tonight I found info on Dr. Hale's site (infant risk) that says it should be fine to use in small areas (which this is) and that risk to a breastfed baby is very low. Also since it's on the bottom of my foot she's never been exposed to the cream directly, also maybe it's less likely to get into my bloodstream b/c the skin is so thick there (?).

Could there be a connection here? Has anyone else used this cream or know anything more about it? I am SO irritated with myself for not checking on it sooner. Also, anyone else seen this odd head movement? Really hoping for some reassurance here, but please be honest if you think there is something more going on that we should have checked out. We go for her 9 mo appointment in a couple weeks.

Thanks in advance
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Default Re: Desoximetasone Cream/Jerky Head Movements

Talk to your pediatrician if you're worried, but it has been my experience that a lot of little kids have a physical way that they discharge excess energy or emotion, usually joy, love, excitement, etc. My oldest flapped her hands and bounced (not autistic, even though that combo is common in autistic kids), my middle simultaneously clenches his fists, grinds his teeth and shakes his whole body, my brother convulsively bit. They grow out of it as they learn to manage their emotions. It sounds normal to me.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Talk to your pediatrician if you're worried, but it has been my experience that a lot of little kids have a physical way that they discharge excess energy or emotion, usually joy, love, excitement, etc. My oldest flapped her hands and bounced (not autistic, even though that combo is common in autistic kids), my middle simultaneously clenches his fists, grinds his teeth and shakes his whole body, my brother convulsively bit. They grow out of it as they learn to manage their emotions. It sounds normal to me.
    My DS has always done a weird (and annoying) breathing pattern when excited or overwhelmed.

Oh that's very reassuring! Thank you!

Anyone know anything more about the desoximetasone cream?
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong