Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going from 3 sessions to 2 - thoughts?

Default Re: Going from 3 sessions to 2 - thoughts?

I've heard about this 9 month "wall" and I've been thinking that maybe this isn't the best time to drop a session...not sure if I've hit it just yet, things are pretty even right now but I'm sure that if I do I would want to keep my 3 sessions for the time being. *Sigh* I actually did 4 today b/c of a meeting I accidentally scheduled during my usual pumping time. I could have done 2 or 4 and I went for 4 (tried to make them shorter but it didn't work out too well)...I'm just nervous to come home with less than I need for DD's bottles, even though I know I get more than enough with the night sessions. Kwim?

What exactly happens at the 9 mo mark? Pump is just less effective, or is it a supply dip all around? I don't have any supply problems right now, baby is always satisfied after nursing. How long does it usually last? & what can I do to protect my supply?

Also, is there anyway to train my body to respond better to the pump? I can get what I need, it just takes soooo long. Is it possible to shorten my sessions & still get the same amount?
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

I didn't hit a 9month wall but from what others have said, you have just become accustomed to the pump so pumping isn't as effective. What type of pump are you using? If not hospital grade, was it new when you starting pump? It is possible the pump could be wearing out, especially if it was used before this baby. You can consider renting a hospital grade pump to get you through the next few months.
    Are you doing compressions while pumping? real compressions? I ask because I thought I was doing compressions until I saw a video from one of the threads and saw how it was supposed to be done.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toddlerandtwins View Post
    you have just become accustomed to the pump so pumping isn't as effective.
    Yeah, that sounds about right. My pump is a Medela PISA & it was new when I bought it last June. It has been used a lot, so it definitely could be pooping out on me. I've thought about renting a hospital grade pump but don't really want to spend the $$ while mine is still working. It works well enough, I can get what I need it just takes so much longer than it used to. So I think it's working fine, it's probably just my body getting used to the pump. How much (ballpark) would it cost per month to rent a hospital grade pump? Just curious...I have already thought about this for my next baby (not on the way just yet). I do a lot of massage/compressions while pumping. IDK if I do them right though, I read a description of how to do them awhile back but when I asked my LC what the best way was she kind of gave me a funny look and said "whatever works best for you." Do you remember where you saw that video?

Update: I did just 2 sessions today at work & still got a little over 12oz which is pretty good. Normally I would have gotten about 14-15 or so with 3 sessions so I was a little short but still pretty close. I think I'll try to do it that way as often as I can (depends on when DD wakes up to nurse in the morning...if it's too early I'd have to do 3 sessions still). It just seemed to save me so much time! I had plenty for DD when I got home but I wasn't uncomfortable really...though of course this is the day that she takes a 2hr nap and gets her last bottle 1.5hrs late! Luckily she still nursed well when I got home, thank goodness!

Renting varies anywhere from $40/month to $90/month.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

That's not too awful...does it depend on what type of pump? Or maybe where you get it from?

Got 12.5oz today from just 2 sessions! Hope I can keep it up...