Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dark Colored Urine

Default Dark Colored Urine

Hey yall,

My 5 month old is EBF (no solids or cereal) and nurses frequently, but quickly. She eats probably every hour or so during the day, but for only 3-5 min. at a time. Maybe 1 or 2 times is a little longer like 7-8 min. She also nurses at least twice during the night for 5-10 min. Recently when I change her diapers, I can see the urine on her diapers (we use cloth so it's easier to tell) and it looks dark in color, where normally it's just clear. I would think she is dehydrated based on this, but her nursing habits haven't changed, and she's still producing at least 8 wet diapers per day and they are soaked..just darker pee. (She also has 2-4 poopy per day.) I think she's on track for weight gain too, she weighs 15 lbs. and is 5 months old. She's gained about a pound per month since 2 months old. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!!
    Erin

Default Re: Dark Colored Urine

I don't think you need to be concerned since she's gaining nicely, nursing at a normal frequency, having adequate diaper output, and doesn't seem sick, but it might be worth a mention to the doc. They can do a urine catch and check for things like UTIs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"