Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: period and breastfeeding..is it over?

Default period and breastfeeding..is it over?

I am pretty sure I've been given false info but ive been told that while im on my period i should supplement with formula..im breast feeding since day one and the last three days lo has been VERY fussy, eating almost every 2 hours where before it was every 3-4 and yesterday he went 6 hours during the day absolutely refusing breast..i need some help please..i dont want my little man to get dehydrated and my doc is not answering. I fed him this morning and he ate for like 10 mins and went back to sleep..i dont understand :-(

Default Re: period and breastfeeding..is it over?

How old is he? I've never supplemented with formula. If you think your supply is lower and you're having your period then nurse more often. If you give formula then you are asking your body to make less milk. Are you sure it's your period and not post partum bleeding?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

It's normal to have somewhat reduced supply around your period. Your LO will ask to nurse more frequently and your supply will return to normal because of the increased demand. You can always count diapers if you're worried about your LO.

LO is 5 weeks 3 days. How do i count diapers? whats a good amount?

TMI- only reason why i say period is bc this morning when i used the restroom its DARK red and clotting..

I think if he's that young it's probably lochia, or the post partum bleeding leftover from birth. Counting wet and poopy diapers - http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...s/enough-milk/ has good explanation.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I don't think it's your period, I think you are still having post partum bleeding, which is totally normal.

Make sure you let baby nurse any time he seems to want it, every 2 hours (or even less) is perfectly normal and doesn't mean anything is wrong. It's perfectly normal for them to constantly adjust their eating frequency at this age as well, try not to expect or create a predictable schedule just yet.

Make sure you are counting diapers: 5-6 wets per day mean baby is getting enough milk. If you are not getting enough, encourage baby to nurse more, offer the breast even when he's not asking for it and watch closely for signs of dehydration.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You got totally bad advice. Supplementing with formula will kill your supply- when you supplement, baby will skip nursing sessions and the reduced demand will quickly result in reduced supply.

I am that this is probably just the last stand of your lochia. Lochia can start and stop multiple times, and often restarts after mom exerts herself physically.

It's normal for a new baby to nurse every 1-2 hours around the clock, or even more frequently. As long as diaper output remains normal, nursing is going just fine. The one thing that concerns me in your original post is that your baby went 6 hours without nursing. That could indicate something like an ear infection or other illness, so if he continues to be reluctant to nurse or his diaper output drops below the minimum, I think it's time to take him to the pediatrician.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Nope. My period came back at 16 weeks with both of my girls and I continued to nurse them to 17 and 15 months respectively without supplementing a drop. Just continue to offer on demand. It may be more frequent during your periods, but you still have plenty of milk to offer and keep baby going.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I agree that it doesn't sound like it's your period. I had the last of post partum bleeding around the same time and I would describe it the same way you did. My LO is now 13 months and AF has not yet returned. Continue to nurse on demand like you are doing. My LO had several periods of time when she would nurse every hour (or sometimes every 30 minutes) when going through a growth spurt.
    Mom to TRH born 2/16/11 - 8lbs 7oz., 21in.