Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipples paining while breastfeeding, pls suggest some advice

Default Nipples paining while breastfeeding, pls suggest some advice

Hi,

My baby was born this month, i am breastfeeding him, but before each feeding session i am very much panic of the pain in my nipples and breast. I cant able to explain how much irritating it will be, moreover i have flat nipples. Please suggest some advice which will help me to continue breastfeeding without any pain. I would to exclusively breastfeed my kid. even i tried nipple shield he doesnot know to suck thru the same. during breastfeeding i also feel pain in shoulder and upper breast area(nerves are tightening).

Default Re: Nipples paining while breastfeeding, pls suggest some ad

Hi mama,

The pain you are having- do you feel it all of the time or only while the baby is nursing at your breast?

Is your baby using any bottles or pacifiers? Is so, try to cut those out.

Have you been seen by an IBCLC, a LLL Leader, or other breastfeeding helper in your area? If not, it would be good for you & your baby to see someone. Let us know if you need help locating someone near you.

Has baby been checked for tongue tie?

What do your nipples look like currently? Any cracking, bleeding, or redness?

Here is a video from Dr Jack Newman's site showing assisted latching. It is also an asymmetrical latch (off center, with baby's lower lip covering more of the areola on the underside than the top part of the areola) which is more comfortable.

Because you have flat nipples, have you tried making a "breast sandwich" to compress your breast and making it easier to baby to get a mouthful of breast? Hold your breast well back on the areola, with your fingers underneath and thumb on top. Press in with thumb and fingers while at the same time pushing back toward your chest wall. This elongates and narrows the areola, which enables baby to latch on more easily. When you have made a "breast sandwich," brush your nipple gently down over baby's lips and encourage a wide-open mouth. Once baby's mouth is wide-open, latch him onto the breast with his chin into the breast first. It's kind of like when you or I eat an apple or a sandwich- we put our lower jaw into it first and roll the food in. That's what we need for baby to do also.

You can also try pumping for a few moments before offering the breast to help draw out your nipple.

A good, comfortable latch is absolutely necessary for successful breastfeeding and you and your baby can do it, mama. I wish I could give you a hug and help you out in person.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Excellent ideas/questions above. I will only add that some moms find that a "laid back" position helps with painful latch. In these positions, gravity is keeping baby on the nipple instead of pulling baby away, and mom is often overall more comfortable than in sitting straight up positions. So both baby and mom feel supported and comfortable. With laid back, mom may be as reclined as much or as little as she likes, she can be in bed propped up with a few pillows, on a couch or comfortable chair, or a glider or rocker, whatever works, and baby can be in any position at all on mom. There is no right or wrong when it comes to positioning-every mom and baby pair are different. If baby is getting milk and mom is comfortable and not in pain, latch and position are good.

More on laid back: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/

Positioning a baby and latching often feels awkward and fumbly until you get the hang of it. It can be an odd sensation when baby nurses but should not hurt, so you are right to seek help sooner rather than later.

One thing moms with nipple/breast pain sometimes do is put off nursing. This is understandable of course but it is counterproductive. Nurse baby frequently and at the earliest cues, this will keep breasts soft and easier to latch onto, and a relatively calm baby will be more willing to experiment and play around with different latch techniques and positions than one who is frantic.

Hi,

I just went through the same thing literally. The only difference is that my nipples aren't flat. I would panic at just the thought of nursing on my left side since i would feel shooting pains from my shoulder down to my back. I decided to contact a lactation consultant and my obgyn. It was thought that I had a clogged milk duct. I was given an antibiotic, Cephalexin for five days. During this time I did not nurse on my left side but I did continue to pump. It's been a week now and I've started nursing on my left side again and everything is fine so far (no shooting pain or irritation)! I would suggest contacting a lactation consultant first. Hope this helps.