Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help, first timer

Unhappy Help, first timer

Hello I'm new to breastfeeding, this is my second child. My son is a little over 5weeks old he has these white bumps on his top gums I guess their called "bohn's nodules", Im a little nervous about them now. When he was born they were small I thought they were going to go away but it's gotten bigger. I've called the doctors office waiting for them to call me back. The past two days he's been fussy, gassy, pulls off, makes like a clacking noise when he eats. I know he's getting milk because when he pulls off there's milk in his mouth. is it because of the nodules? Also my breast have been feeling empty but milk still comes out i never feel like theres too much. I've been reading other threads about over/undersupply, thrush and other infections that could cause problems with him not eating well. Sometimes it feels like he sort of uses my breast as a pacifier too, is that normal? I have so many questions I don't know where to start or end. Help?
    Young Mother of Two
    Cassie&Colby<3

Default Re: Help, first timer

Welcome to the forum! I'd never heard of Bohn's nodules so I googled them and it sounds like they are a lot like Epstein's pearls, which my second baby had. They should not impact breastfeeding in any way.

The gassiness, unlatching, and clacking noise sounds very much like what happens when a baby is coping with a forceful letdown of milk, something which often stems from an oversupply- the more milk you have, the faster it usually comes out. Many new moms start out with some degree of oversupply- it's nature's way of making sure baby gets fed while mastering the art of breastfeeding. But since you say your breasts are feeling "empty" it's quite possible that your supply is adjusting to a more reasonable level. The first thi to try when dealing with forceful letdowns is reclined nursing, since that way you enlist gravity to slow the flow of milk to the baby.

It's perfectly fine and normal for a baby to use the breast as a pacifier. If you were a baby, wouldn't you rather get your pacification needs met at a nice, warm, tasty breast rather than a cold piece of silicon?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Using breast as paci-normal, healthy, and appropriate. At this age you want your baby to be nursing lots, a minimum of 10-12 times a day. MINIMUM.
    If baby is pooping enough and gaining normally, baby is getting enough milk. see early dasy article I linked below.
    Fussy and gassy-often just normal, could be made worse by overactive letdown.
    Clacking-could be sign of overactive letdown, or thrush. Or some babies are just noisy eaters.
    Thrush would likely be causing YOU lots of pain in the breasts and/or nipples, in baby is presents as white spots or blotches in the mouth (inner cheeks, gums,) that turn red or bleed when lightly scratched.

For more on overactive letdown: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

for more on what is normal in the early days: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

You have me stumped on the bohn's nodules. Never heard of them. I will look around and see what I can find out about them hopefully someone here knows. Edit-OK Mommal found something. Hmmmm, My oldest had something, whitish bumps on his top gums, is that what these are? They sort of looked like teeth in pictures, my sister photoshoped them out and I remember feeling so offended. Ah, the joy of hormones.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; March 22nd, 2012 at 11:35 AM.

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"