Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!! Dwindling supply or start of real weaning?

Exclamation Help!! Dwindling supply or start of real weaning?

So I started DD on 'solids' at 6 months. She is 8 months. Though her appetite for solids is finally starting to come around, I'm having issues pumping enough for the few hours I'm gone a day and she's usually not full, just content for DH when he puts her down at night. I was pumping between 3 and 4 ounces in one sitting and that would be enough to get by, but now I'm pumping between one and two ounces per session, which is NOT enough. Last night she was up literally every hour and half from the time she fell asleep, almost on the dot. I'm exhausted and because she nursed all night long, I don't have enough to pump for tonight. Please help! I drink one large, well steeped cup of Mother's Milk and take 2 fenugreek a day. This has been sustaining me quite well since she was 2 months old. I'm worried that she might be starting weaning and trying to go to only solids, except that she's really not eating enough solids (variety or amount) to be able to do that. I'm really desperate because I REALLY don't want to give her formula and I don't have a large stockpile in the freezer (maybe 2 days worth) anymore because the freezer I had nearly 2 weeks supply in broke a month ago and I lost it all. I'm going to try to get in extra pumpings today (I have to), but I don't know what else to do. Please, please help!

Default Re: Help!! Dwindling supply or start of real weaning?

If baby is nursing every 1.5 hours all night long, she's not weaning. She might be teething, but she's not weaning. She also may be trying to signal your body to boost supply- it sounds like you've hit a bit of a slump in the pumping department. If you haven't gotten your period back, it might be signaling impending arrival- many women see an abrupt decrease in supply right before their period hits.

Best things you can do to help with your pump output:
    - pump more often
    - check your pump- after months of heavy use it may be wearing out
    - nurse the babyas often as she wants, even if that means nursing all... night... long...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Also, make sure you are drinking enough water and eating enough. Do you pump in the morning? Pumping soon after waking will yield more milk.

I was pumping between 3 and 4 ounces in one sitting and that would be enough to get by, but now I'm pumping between one and two ounces per session, which is NOT enough.
    You may have to pump twice to get enough for one bottle. This is not uncommon. How much you pump does not mean much on its own, as far as milk supply goes.

If baby is eating solids and separation are just a few hours, can't baby have more solids with the caregiver and nurse more at the breast when you are there? Nursing more often at the breast will do more than anything else when it comes to boosting supply (and let baby get more milk) and an 8 month old would be fine (healthwise) for a few hours w/o a bottle. You could also look into adding another galactagogue or upping your fenugreek.

And I agree with mommal, more often than you would think, the problem is the pump!

Babies only very very rarely self wean prior to a year.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    - check your pump- after months of heavy use it may be wearing out
    What you've described sounds like it could very well just be the pump. Have you tried replacing valves/membranes? This has helped me with pumping output.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    You may have to pump twice to get enough for one bottle. This is not uncommon. How much you pump does not mean much on its own, as far as milk supply goes.
    This too. Pumping became increasingly difficult for me after about 8 months. While I used to get plenty of milk in a single pumping session, after 8 months I had to add in an extra pumping session from time to time. Boo. I also need to pump for longer periods of time now too. Double boo.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If baby is nursing every 1.5 hours all night long, she's not weaning. She might be teething, but she's not weaning.
    The frequent night nursing is almost always a sign of a tooth on the way in our house. I also wouldn't take this as a sign of early weaning.

Thank you all for your replies, unfortunately, it's gotten worse. Today I didn't even let down for the pump, even after I replaced parts. And then I totally freaked out, which I'm sure just exacerbated the problem. The reason I have to pump at all is because she goes to bed at 8, but I'm gone from 6 to 9. I probably don't HAVE to have milk for tomorrow afternoon while I'm gone, but sometimes that's just what she wants and simply won't eat solids until she has milk. I've increased my fluid intake from 80-90 oz (mostly water or mother's milk tea) to 100-120 oz a day. I'm really beginning to worry that I will have to supplement with formula and I really really REALLY wanted to make it to AT LEAST a year and not have to supplement at all.

When you say you are gone from 6 to 9, do you mean 6 pm to 9 pm, a total of three hours? Or am I missing something?

Yes, that's correct. But she starts her bedtime routine at about 7:30 and is in bed by 8, so I'm not able to nurse her one last time before she goes to bed, which is why I need to pump. The 3 oz is usually enough to get her to be comfortable and to sleep until 11 or so, so then I'm able to nurse her one last time before going to bed myself.

I had to go to pumping more often to get enough for my son around that age. It has been constant stress, so I know how you feel! Right now I only have 3 oz for him, and he takes 6-7 while I am gone, so I will be stuck trying to play catch up this weekend. Some things that have helped for me:
    I do a pump in the mornings now right after I get up, usually can get an extras couple oz even if I just fed him.
    Manual expression! After each pumping session, and I do this before I go to bed at night. I also sometimes take a bottle with me to bed and do it in the middle of the night if he sleeps through.

I pump once in the morning, twice at work, and once at night, all to get a measly 6 oz. Its so sad! I can't believe I ever used to get 15 in a day! Just keep trying new things, see what works for you! Oatmeal helps, too.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

Yes, that's correct. But she starts her bedtime routine at about 7:30 and is in bed by 8, so I'm not able to nurse her one last time before she goes to bed, which is why I need to pump. The 3 oz is usually enough to get her to be comfortable and to sleep until 11 or so, so then I'm able to nurse her one last time before going to bed myself.
    Well, I get having a bedtime routine if that works for your family, although the NEED, developmentally, for routines or a set firm bedtime at this age I would question. What about moving the routine back to when you are home and can just nurse baby to sleep. Compared to the stress you are having about pumping enough and concern about having to supplement that seems like it might be the path of least resistance. Just an idea.