Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with all of my frozen milk???

Default Re: What to do with all of my frozen milk???

You can make smoothies from already frozen breastmilk but for ice cream you'd need to use breastmilk that hasn't already been frozen OR use frozen breastmilk and just eat up the ice cream you make so that you don't need to refreeze it.

If you have an over abundant supply of ebm you could always donate it to the mother's milk bank, it goes to help bf premature/sick babies whose mothers can't. You go in for some simple blood tests and they give you storage bottles to pump more milk into. Usually you donate about 100 oz at a time. I did this with my first baby and it was very rewarding to know that not only was I providing the best nutrition for my own son, I was helping a baby who was in desperate need.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Great thanks for the information! Everyone here is MUCH more helpful than my area rep. I never got an email or call back from her. Better luck next time. I actually have the number to a lady about an hour away that I am probably going to get in touch with. It wont be as convenient, but at least I will get some help. I think there are meetings around where she is too. We are in a small community here so there aren't meetings.

Thank you for all of the ideas. I searched online and found a local Mother's Milk Bank for my stored milk.

I do have another question though. Is it safe to re-refrigerate milk that has been kept in the refrigerator overnight (after pumping) and taken out for feeding the next evening. The milk has only been at room temp for a short time (less than an hour)? My son is falling asleep before daddy can feed him the entire bottle of EBM. I typically pump anywhere between 2-3 1/2 ounces of BM each evening. If my son doesn't eat it all I have some left over and if I freeze the rest I will have the same problem I have already (too much EBM).

Help again

Jennifer

Gagesmom:
    I am sorry that your experience with your local Leader was less than satisfying. I am glad to hear that you have not given up and will search out another group/Leader. Sometimes Leaders have things come up and can't get back to a mom right away. Some Leaders are much busier than others and their lives may have been so crazy with kids, school, etc.

Jennifer:
    Glad to hear things are going well!

Please check this link-
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

What it states is that bacterial levels have not been shown to increase/grow in milk that has been left at room temp. for 10 hours as opposed to milk left in the fridge for 10 hours. Does that answer your question? The new concensus is that human milk has so many living properties that it is unlike formula in that it does not hurt it to have the baby take some and then take the rest later. That is why LLL suggests to many moms that they tell day-care providers not to throw out unused milk in the bottle, but to give it to the baby later. They must throw out formula, though, once a baby has taken some from a bottle.

Please let me know if this is helpful. If not, I should be able to find some more references for you!