Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breakfast ideas for 7 month old?

Default Re: Breakfast ideas for 7 month old?

Yogurt is ok under one. The protein is easier to digest than when in straight milk. Also true for other full fat dairy like cottage cheese, cheese, eggs which are generally ok in the second half of the first year.

That said, large curd cottage cheese, hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes or waffles ( I use coconut oil instead of butter and syrup, it good tasting and full of healthy fat)
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

The culturing process changes the composition of the milk that becomes yogurt and cheese. Uncultured cow's milk is very irritating to the digestive system of infants and even small toddlers and can lead to anemia through inhibition of iron absorption and intestinal bleeding even as late as 2 years. This isn't the case for yogurt and cheese. While I don't think it's a good idea to eat excessive amounts of yogurt and cheese, moderate intake shouldn't cause intestinal irritation.

Sorry to just question all of you and I'm new at momhood--my daughter has been eating rice cereal per the doctors orders; baby's at seven months can eat stuff like this? Katie (daughter) did actually try to pick up her cereal this morning which got me thinking...........I'd love to have some ideas. Again, sorry for hopping in here like this.
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Yep, there's some evidence that starting with rice cereal is not ideal, and lots of us on here do baby led solids. There's a whole forum here that I can't link to right now.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

The reasoning behind rice cereal is that is very unlikely to cause an allergic reaction. It has very little nutritional value, however, and there is a push within the pediatrics community to go away from it as a first food. Instead you can offer such things as sweet potatoes, peas, beans, carrots, etc., either as purees or as chunks. In baby-led-solids, you allow babies to feed themselves from the start (under supervision, of course). But you absolutely can start introducing your LO to other things--either as purees or finger foods, depending on what you feel comfortable with.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newboob View Post
    baby's at seven months can eat stuff like this?
    and ! My son ate some Indian Butter Chicken when he was 6.5 months All babies are different, so they might take longer to develop the skills needed, but Baby Led Weaning says to just keep offering and when they can pick up, chew, and swallow the food, they must be ready for the food!

I HIGHLY recommend this website: http://www.rapleyweaning.com/ and the book that goes with it.
    Here is another link- I found it in another user's signature on here: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...lw/engels.html

DS was sucking on flank steak at 6 months. In fact, steak was his favorite food for quite a while when he was 6-7mo.

Also, BLS is not an all or nothing system. Once DS was a bit older and was easily feeding himself we started doing some spoon feeding of really messy things, just to keep the mess down in the mornings. For example we would give him some dry cereal then spoon him some applesauce with molasses in between his bites of cereal. If he was really clear that he wanted to spoon it himself then we would hand it over.

We really like homemade wheat waffles with cream cheese and cut up fruit. Or just wheat toast with cream cheese. You can make a bunch of waffles ahead and freeze them, then just pop them in the toaster. We also keep a bunch of sugar free fruit cups on hand, in case we run out of fresh fruit, which makes for a really fast breakfast.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

gees i'm behind--my daughter will b 8 months and hasnt tried bananas!! should i offer them?? she has no teeth
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

There is no reason you "should" offer banana at a certain age. Other than the short list of foods to avoid during the first year it is really up to you. Remember: Food is for fun, until they are 1.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I like that philosophy and I appreciate the links from the previous poster. I was concerned this morning when my daughter decided to eat red eye gravy! But I rolled with it and let her have it and she loved it.
    Katie Elena 8/24/11