Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast ideas for 7 month old?

Default Breakfast ideas for 7 month old?

I've been doing oatmeal with bananas this week, and would like to try something new. Suggestions?

Also I just grind up the whole oats that I would eat. Is that okay, or is baby oatmeal different?

Default Re: Breakfast ideas for 7 month old?

Cheerios, fruit (strawberries, oranges, apples), whole wheat toast

Remember you don't need traditional breakfast food so sweet potatoes or things like that would be good too.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Remember there used to be a time before people had blenders, or before there was baby food companies. So regular oats are just fine, personally I wouldn't even grind them up. I mean you can, but you don't have to. The baby food stuff has iron added to it, but....that's a whole nother issue. I would look into baby led weaning, we love it.

As was said it doesn't have to be traditional foods, what you gave though sounds good to me. But, you can really give anything almost. Avocado, squash, carrots, etc etc. What I basically do is look at what I'm eating that looks like the baby could handle it and that's what baby gets. lol I rarely if ever make something "special" for baby.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

I feed oatmeal that is sticky enough for them to pick up. I don't spoonfeed because I'm kinda busy in the mornings.

Cheerios
    Fruits
    Yogurt
    Bits of veggies
    Bit of bagel to chew on

It's all about fun and exploration, so show them what you like to eat.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

From about 7-12 months, my son had a banana 95% of all mornings Cheerios were very popular. Toast? Around 8 months or so (my memory is ALREADY foggy!) I gave him scrambled eggs.

I recently made little silver dollar pancakes with fruit in them (this way they dont need syrup ) whatever wasnt eaten I put in the freezer. Now I can pull them out and mic them and voila instant homemade breakfast.

I gave my kids vegetables for breakfast. DH thought it was weird, but it's not like they know the difference ? !
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Mine went a spell where all he wanted was diced tomatoes and cucumbers for breakfast. I'm not a big breakfast eater myself (and I'm definitely not a morning person), so I usually give my son whatever I happen to have on hand that requires little to no prep time - fruits, veggies, cereal.

But yogurt has cow's milk. Not okay to use before year 1 right?

Seems like most people do cows yogurt & cheese before a year, just not milk.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I honestly think they said 1 year so that people don't wean from breastmilk/formula too soon. There's a difference between getting it in some yogurt in addition to nursing and having cow's milk be the majority of your nutrition.