Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding while travelling

Default Feeding while travelling

I will be travelling for the first time this week with DS (14 weeks). We are finally visiting the grandparents (both sets) which means flying from Italy to Spain for a few days and then travelling on to Ireland.
    I will be ebf so won't be bothering to drag pump, bottles etc. However, DS has been extremely fussy for the last 3 days and will only eat when I'm walking with him. If I try to feed him in any other position he screams and kicks. Walking with him for 10 minutes gets him calm and then I can sit down and finish the feed. I'm concerned that this won't be an option on the planes, trains and buses that we will be taking during our trip.
    I think the increased fussiness is due to either teething (lots of drooling) or the high temperatures/humidity we have here at the moment. Any suggestions for getting him to feed well while travelling?

Default Re: Feeding while travelling

greetings podutti!
    You are so lucky to be able to travel overseas to visit with family. I am excited for you.
    your LO might realize that nursing while traveling will be on your terms, not his. i would be careful not to stall or hold off feedings. Try to nurse him as often as every 2-3 hours. you might want to wear your regular comfortable easy access clothing. A cloth sling to wear him in and to keep him close by can be a real help while traveling. i could not wear perfume or cologne when my lo's were infants. So you might want to keep that in mind too.
    have fun and remember to let your in-laws and parents coo and kiss and cuddle the baby.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

yes, use a carrier, and i have always found that DS was calmer and more interested in surroundings when we're out and about. my guess is your DS will roll with the flow.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Esthervegan you just gave me a thought........I started using a perfumed body lotion end of last week when my old unscented one ran out. DH even commented on saturday about how strong smelling the lotion is. I never put it on my breasts but I wonder if the smell alone would be enough to cause DS's feeding fussiness for the last few days!
    I'm glad you mentioned about perfume because I would probably have put it on without thinking. Will head out to the pharmacy to get a "proper" body lotion today.
    I have a carrier and will definately bring that with me, so far DH has used it more than me

The fussiness could be from the lotion. When my second child was a few months old, I used some lovely scented shower scrub DH gave me. Well, baby wouldn't nurse after I got out of the shower and just screamed! I didn't have it on my breasts, but it was on my arms and stomach, and I guess he didn't like it. I raced back to the shower and washed it off, and then he happily nursed after that.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Just wanted to say good luck, and if you think of it, PM me when you get back and let me know how it goes! We're traveling to Spain as well at the end of the month. DD (8 weeks) is going through a phase where she will mostly only nurse if she is very sleepy or asleep. Sometimes while walking. Needless to say I share your concerns about nursing on planes, etc. where this may get difficult.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I'll absolutely let you know how it goes...although my flights are much shorter than yours! I have noticed on previous trips to Spain that NIP is quite common. I've regularly seen people walking around shops and in cafes nursing their little ones, haven't seen it on airplanes though, yet!