Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Has my milk gone bad?

Question Has my milk gone bad?

I pump and store my excess milk in the back of our refrigerator's freezer at the end of the workday. I store it in the Lasinoh breast milk storage bags.

When I would thaw a bag out, the milk had a funny "freezer" smell. So I tried putting my bags of milk in a gallon size ziplock and then putting that ziplock in another gallon size bag (essentially tripple-bagging it). This didn't help. The milk has a weird taste like baby spit-up and my toddler won't drink it. I only keep the milk in the freezer for about 3 months at a time.

My husband thinks because plastic is porous the milk might be oxidizing which would be causing it to taste bad. I don't wanna have to throw it out. I like to keep a stash for emergencies.

Is the milk spoiling? Am I storing incorrectly? Has anyone else had this issue?
    Proud mommy to

Tre' - 3-26-2010
    Hunter - 11-5-2011

Default Re: Has my milk gone bad?

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Has my milk gone bad?

lipase

If you are giving it to a toddler, try mixing it with cow milk, if you are using that, adding some to fresh mom milk, or mixing chocolate with it

You can also bake with it for your toddler.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!