Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weaning...

Default Re: Weaning...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pinkpumps9876 View Post
    I tried the swimsuit and it worked the last two times!!
    Thanks for your advice. I'm not looking forward to stopping the last feed in a few weeks, but I have to stop some time
    Are you not looking forward to it because you aren't ready to wean or because you know that it is going to be extremely traumatic for your daughter? Nursing doesn't have to be all or nothing. Around 15 months old my husband started putting my daughter to bed several nights a week without me. He just gave her soy milk - although you can use cows milk. And when I put her down I still nursed. She gradually weaned herself by 18 months. Earlier than I was ready for, honestly, but since it was on her terms I felt better about it. If you enjoy nursing sometimes, then by all means nurse sometimes.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I have considered moving her feed and being flexible, but I don't know how she'd adjust to a change when she's had this routine of a bedtime feed since she was born? I don't understand how I can give her one feed for a few days and then she doesn't feed the next day then does. It seems strange to me that she'd adjust to this? And I have no idea now, what the signals are that she'll give me when she wants milk as we've worked to routine rather than need? If there's advice on this then I'll consider it.

There's also the fact that my fibromyalgia may improve if I stop feeding as it can be tiring for me.

I don't know about the fibromyalgia however you find a new normal each milestone your baby hits. Plus your baby has a different routine with each caregiver. Trust me, it's really not as traumatic for them to adjust to daddy putting them to sleep a different way than it is to be cut from the only comfort they have had. But it sounds like you want to wean, so I assume the answer to my first question is you aren't looking forward to it because you know that it won't be easy for her. My best advice is that you can't do bedtime at all until she is totally weaned. And your cobath should probably stop so she doesn't feel rejected and more in need of comfort.

To answer your questions though, her cues will not change. Nothing at all would change. Other than the fact that you can go out and not pump. Your body will adjust to missing sessions and so will your baby. Your supply may suffer a bit, however since weaning is your ultimate goal, does it really matter? In fact it may help. Perhaps the lack of milk will cause her to reject you instead and then you can wean gently.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I also don't have any experience with fibromyalgia. But babies are really adaptable. You could continue to nurse on the evenings you are together and let things happen in the natural course of things. My guess is that when you do the two weeks when she won't see you at bedtime that she will probably wean on her own. But maybe not. You never know. I thought that my first daughter would wean on her own when the milk went away during pregnancy, but she didn't. However, she was given free access to nurse whenever she wanted up until that point, so it's a really different situation. I have known several women who have gotten their baby down to one nursing session like you have and then gone on a trip and then not nursed their baby when they got back. It seems to work for them.

I also agree about the bath. That just seems cruel to me to reject her like that in the bath.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months