Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Human pacifier all night long

Default Human pacifier all night long

Alright here's my secret: I cosleep and my 14 mo uses my nipple as a pacifier all night. Also the only way she falls asleep is by nursing AND I have to hold her through the whole nap or she will wake up after 20 minutes. What have I done? I wish she could sleep without me so I could get some work done of spend time with the hubby. But if wishes were horses.... Any advice out there?

Default Re: Human pacifier all night long

Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution has the pantley pull off, where when the sucking becomes fluttery you gently unlatch. And yes they will protest, and you unlatch againn and again, and again. And after days of thius they will learn not to need the nipple in their mouth all night long.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

I just wanted to commiserate. My 14 month old does the same exact thing. He latches off and sleeps that way for about 30 minutes in the morning and I get to sleep in a different position and I'm psyched. When I'm with him for naps, I will nurse him to sleep in my bed and then sneak away sometimes once he's asleep-if he'll let me! We have magic bumpers on the bed so he doesn't roll out. I've also gotten him to fall asleep nursing in a chair before bed, then I put him in the co-sleeper for about an hour before he wakes up and comes into the bed. Honestly, I don't have the energy to do the Panely pull-off yet because I am getting some sleep by just letting him stay latched all night long. But it would definitely be nice to be able to put him down sometimes and actually sit with my hubby on the couch or put my older son to bed. Good luck!

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

Is this a support group for 14 month olds that are latched on all night? If so, sign me up!!

It's pretty normal and it will pass. My older child outgrew this somewhere between 15 and 18 months, I just can't remember when it was.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I need to be part of this support group! My 13 month old is the same way. I've been trying to unlatch her at the flutters for months now and she still protests. My shoulder is so sore every night and morning. I wish I knew the secret.
    Mom to TRH born 2/16/11 - 8lbs 7oz., 21in.

Same here! It's really starting to drive me crazy!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

I don't have much advice, but you're not alone. Joe was like this until 18 months or so as well.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I like this support group! JoMo, did it just magically happen around 18 months or did you need to do the Pantley pull-off for a period of time to encourage it? I can see my little guy sleep nursing for a loooooonnnnnnggggg time to come!

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

Things quieted down at my house with Lilah after she got her first molars and canines in. And then she went back to it right before she had a huge verbal explosion. And then not long after that (around 20 months) my DH took over bedtime and she started sleeping 6 hours for her first stretch and then only nursing maybe twice a night and roll over after that.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*swmom View Post
    I like this support group! JoMo, did it just magically happen around 18 months or did you need to do the Pantley pull-off for a period of time to encourage it? I can see my little guy sleep nursing for a loooooonnnnnnggggg time to come!
    I did do the Pantley pull-off, for months, although not regularly, because I would often fall asleep nursing and forget to "pull off." Things did get easier after all of the molars came in and I could often settle Joe back to sleep by cuddling in addition to or instead of nursing. I think 12-15 months is a SUPER CLINGY time for a lot of babies.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.