Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: going away for a weekend ???

Default going away for a weekend ???

I have a 21 month old girl and am pregnant with my second. We have had so much going on recently, with job changes for myself and my husband and a big move in the works. I would really like to take a vacation when everything settles down and before the new baby comes, but have never been away from my daughter for more than a day. Though she still nurses anywhere from 1-5 times a day, I have heard of children nursing 2-3 times a week. So, I am wondering what will happen to my milk if I leave her with her grandparents for 2 or 3 days? Any experiences with this?

Default Re: going away for a weekend ???

bumping
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

IME, milk supply disappears while you are pregnant no matter what you do. Happens to 80% of pregnant mamas. Some nursling's are content to nurse anyway, others are not. So, if your LO is OK with it, it won't matter either way. My bigger concern would not be my milk, but more is my toddler ready for me to be away?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had these thoughts when I was asked on a hen weekend. My little boy was 20 months and nursing 6-7 times a day. I took my husband with me and I only saw my son for nursing and night times. They had a great boys weekend. I wonder if you could take the grandparents with you. You both do separate activities but you meet up for nursing. Your little girl gets grandparents love and mummy love; perfect.

Hi! I have a 21 mo too! I am not PG, she is my 3rd and I am not planning to have more at the moment. But...I am trying to figure out this exact thing!! My dh and I will celebrate 20 years of marriage this year! And he wants to go away for 2-3 days. Without the kids.. Now I am not planning on weaning my baby anytime soon, as she is likely my last and I'd like her to self wean naturally. So, i really like the suggestion above about taking the caregiver with you and only nursing when needed. Unless your lo night nurses still...(I'm currently trying to night wean...) I want to nurse my lo at least as long as she wants if possible as long as her sister nursed 27months. But that would take me to October, and our anniversary is in sept... In worry that if she was still nursing, and I did leave her, it would be traumatic for her.

Maybe, instead of leaving her..you could take a family friendly vacation and include her in those get away memories before the new baby arrives? Or take the care giver with you... Right now, my dd nurses quite a bit...she comfort nurses...and I am having a tough time, as everyone keeps saying she needs to wean before our anniversary. Anyway, I shared my thoughts, so you can know you are not alone. Hope it all works out for you guys!
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

Personally, I think a couple nights away without your LO is a good idea. DH and I knew that we were going to be away from dd1 when I went into labour, likely for a few nights, so we used a couple overnight stays and then a two night stay with grandparents to help her learn to adjust. It seemed to help, I think. We started the overnighters at about 19 mo and did the 2nighter at 21 months. Dd1 asked about us a few times, but otherwise coped just fine.

Eta: honestly, I think it was harder on me than her... I don't think I could stomach more than 3 days away from dd1 without an absolutely needful reason (such as some kind of dire emergency or hospitalization).
    Last edited by @llli*barnheartbabe; April 26th, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])