Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 week old has watery poo

Default 6 week old has watery poo

My LO is 6 weeks, she has always had pretty runny poo but that last 2 weeks it is like yellow/brown water. She will have some poops imbetween that are a little mucousy. She only poops about 2-3 times every evening so i dont think it actually diarrhea. She is happy and gaining good. Not gassy. I do not feel like i have oversupply, it feels like she is emptying my breast. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Default Re: 6 week old has watery poo

If the poop is really watery, I would suspect a stomach bug (hopefully, since she's doing well otherwise, a minor one) and take her to the doc to get checked. I had oversupply and OALD and it resulted in explosive and wet poops, but not actually watery poops. I'm no expert, but my doctor always said that loose stools are normal, watery ones are not normal. If she does have a stomach bug, then breastmilk is still the best thing you can give her.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Are you seeing oversupply symptoms, mama? Things like:
    - frequent feelings of fullness or engorgement
    - frequent leaking
    - able to pump multiple oz of milk with ease
    - baby chokes, coughs, gags, splutters, clicks, or clucks during nursing
    - baby frequently pulls off breast
    - intense letdown sensations
    - if baby pulls off breast during letdowns, milk may squirt or stream from the breast
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I really doont think it is a bug, it has been going on like this for a little over 2 weeks. And i thought if it was a bug she would be going more frequently, it is usually one watery one foloowed by one or two mucousy ones. Some
    Times i have an over active let down but no other symptoms of over supply.

Could it just be a variation of normal? My DS has had poos like this a lot since birth. They usually have a few of the 'mustard seeds' in them too but not always. It seems to come and go as far as how watery they are and sometimes they are more yellow than yellow-brown. I just thought that was all within the normal range, so I haven't done anything about it. He is now almost 11 weeks old. Like your baby he is generally happy and gaining very well. If it isn't within normal then I'd like to know too.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

I am hoping it is a variation of normal. I think it might get worse when i eat alot of nuts so i am going to try cutting them out.

My lo does the same thing... Pretty sure it is okay. I asked my ped about it a while back because yes I freaked out about quick dehydration... He pooped right there in the office and my ped said nothing to worry about. Maybe Yours is worse than mine?! But it was pretty watery! Now he varies between more watery and not and maybe once every 2-3 days it has a mucously look. He is doing great! And I only have symptoms of oversupply when he misses a feeding for one reason or another. I do let down easily and leak when he is eating the other breast but I don't think I have oversupply. So maybe that helps that someone else has those poops too. If she was getting dehydrated, you would see symptoms of that... Like less pee... Some uric crystals etc. I think because babies are so different than us, and our lil loves that rely on us, we tend to worry too much!
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

thank you that really made me feel better! i hope she poops when i take her for her 2 month check up so i can have her ped look at it. but no signs of dehydration. same as you i sometimes leak on the other breast when nursing her. I will try not to worry so much

If it's been going on for a while and everything else seems good, then it probably is just a variation of normal. But if I was seeing "yellow brown water" on a regular basis, I'd probably want my doctor to see it. It just sounds more like diarrhea than normal loose breastmilk stools to me (and I had OS, OALD, and the whole nine yards, so I saw a lot of really loose stools, but it usually was more than "watery"), but then, I'm not seeing it, you know? Anyway, if your check up is soon, I'd just bring it up with the doctor.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.