Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused about block feeding, oversupply, and overactive let

Default Confused about block feeding, oversupply, and overactive let

I have one breast that just makes way too much milk and shoots it out with such force, my baby can only handle it in her sleep. I am convinced now after about 6 weeks of problems, that that it is the root.

I am trying to block feed, but it doesn't seem to help yet. It seems like more milk builds up in there and comes out even faster now. Is it one of those "gets worse before it gets better" things?

My babies have only nursed on one side EVER. So I feel confident that I make enough milk for an entire feeding in just one breast.

She is almost 4 months.

How long will it take to get the crazy side to slow the heck down??

I am tempted to just nurse on the good side and pump just a TINY bit on the crazy side. Because right now if I nurse on the crazy side after feeding on the good side for about 5 or 6 hours, baby pops off, gets made, gets soaked, and then won't get back on at all.

Something else I'm wondering if I understand correctly. I am block feeding to reduce my supply on the right. Not really overall, just the right. My left side behaves itself. When I'm nursing on the right 2 or 3 times in a row, I'm stimulating MORE milk, right?

If I reduce the time on the left by nursing two or three times on the right, couldn't I be decreasing my supply in the left and then making the problem worse?

This is what has me thinking about nursing only on the good side and pumping to comfort on the right.

Also, how do you know you're not overdoing it?? I will admit I live in fear of "not making enough milk" and that's prolly how I ended up like this.

Default Re: Confused about block feeding, oversupply, and overactive

Yep, it gets worse before it gets better, and it can take weeks or longer to really slow. And I would probably do more what you are saying, nurse more n the good side and switch to the other if baby isn't happy with the other. Keep an eye out for plugs and for your supply to really drop, as naturally, that will happen with time, and forcing it could mean you have lower supply in the long run. But it's also totally normal to make more on one side, so keep that in mind and don't shoot for absolute balance, just more like not overwhelming baby (although time alone will take care of that too).

All of mine preferred one side too. 2 preferred the overproducer -- which at one point this time, I was pumping 12 oz at every session from it! -- and one preferred the underproducer -- which only makes 8 oz in 24 hours.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Confused about block feeding, oversupply, and overactive

Something else I'm wondering if I understand correctly. I am block feeding to reduce my supply on the right. Not really overall, just the right. My left side behaves itself. When I'm nursing on the right 2 or 3 times in a row, I'm stimulating MORE milk, right?
    If you only want to reduce milk supply on the right side, why not only block feed on the left-so, nurse on the left 2 times for every one time on the right, something like that? And remember block nursing does not mean you decrease nursing sessions over all at all. You still want to nurse with appropriate frequency.

It IS confusing, because of course if you do that, then each time you nurse on the right (after the long break of not nursing on that side) that long break will potentially make the overactive let down WORSE. This is one of the reasons I dislike suggesting block nursing unless it is truly neccesary, as it has the potential to cause any number of issues.

However, if you are willing to put up with the oald getting worse before the oversupply gets better, and you are sure that oversupply is worsening the oald, then in theory, the block nursing should help.